40th Air Transport Squadron

40th Military Airlift Squadron

Emblem of the 40th Military Airlift Squadron
Active 1942-1968
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Type Airlift


The 40th Military Airlift Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit. Its last assignment was to the 438th Military Airlift Wing, Military Airlift Command, stationed at McGuire Air Force Base, New Jersey.

It was inactivated on 4 March 1968.

History

The unit was activated as the 40th Ferrying (later, Transport) Squadron under Ferrying (later Air Transport) Command at Canton Island Airport, Gilbert Islands, in August 1942. It ferried various aircraft, including A-20s, B-17s, B-24s, B-25s, B-26s, P-38s, P-40s, C-46s, and C-47s, to destinations in the Pacific Theater. The squadron also provided a maintenance service for transient aircraft until inactivated on 30 September 1943.

It was reactivated in 1954 under Military Air Transport Service at Dover AFB, Delaware in 1954. The squadron flew very long range C-124 Globemaster intercontinental transport aircraft carrying passengers and cargo, throughout the MATS Atlantic Division, to Europe, Africa and the Middle East.

It was inactivated in 1960.

The squadron was reactivated again in 1962 at McGuire AFB, New Jersey and equipped with the C-135A/B jet transport. It carried cargo between the US and Vietnam until it was inactivated in 1968 when MAC C-135 operations came to an end.

Lineage

  • Established as 40th Ferrying Squadron on 1 August 1942
Activated on 17 August 1942
Redesignated: 40th Transport Squadron on 1 March 1943
Disbanded on 30 September 1943
  • Established as 40th Air Transport Squadron, Heavy on 1 March 1954
Activated on 8 March 1954
Inactivated on 8 December 1960
Redesignated as 40th Air Transport Squadron, Medium on 8 January 1962
Redesignated as 40th Military Airlift Squadron on 8 January 1966
Inactivated on 4 March 1968

Assignments

Stations

Aircraft

References

  • Mueller, Robert, Air Force Bases Volume I, Active Air Force Bases Within the United States of America on 17 September 1982, Office of Air Force History, 1989


External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.