World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Buffalo North breakwater East end Light

Article Id: WHEBN0008585136
Reproduction Date:

Title: Buffalo North breakwater East end Light  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of lighthouses in the United States
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Buffalo North breakwater East end Light

The Buffalo North breakwater East end Light was a lighthouse originally located on the North breakwater East End of Buffalo harbor, New York. It has since been relocated from the North Harbor entrance and sits on display near the Buffalo Main Light on the grounds of the United States Coast Guard station at the end of Furman Blvd on the Buffalo waterfront.

History

The lighthouse was established and lit in 1903, automated in 1960 and was deactivated in 1985. The foundation materials was stone filled crib and the lighthouse was constructed out of boiler plate cast iron. The tower was bottle shaped and 29 feet high. The tower was white. The original lens installed in 1903 was a sixth order Fresnel lens.

Chronology:

  • 1903: The original lens was installed in 1903 and was a sixth order Fresnel
  • 1960: The light was automated in 1960.
  • 1985: The light was deactivated in 1985.
  • 2000: Lighthouse is open to the public and managed by the Buffalo Lighthouse association, Inc. There are no existing keepers quarters on existing sound signal building.

External links

Further reading

  • Oleszewski, Wes. Great Lakes Lighthouses, American and Canadian: A Comprehensive Directory/Guide to Great Lakes Lighthouses, (Gwinn, Michigan: Avery Color Studios, Inc., 1998) ISBN 0-932212-98-0.
  • U.S. Coast Guard. Historically Famous Lighthouses (Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1957).
  • Wright, Larry and Wright, Patricia. Great Lakes Lighthouses Encyclopedia Hardback (Erin: Boston Mills Press, 2006) ISBN 1-55046-399-3


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.