World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Cain-Sloan

Article Id: WHEBN0012670854
Reproduction Date:

Title: Cain-Sloan  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Dillard's, Nashville sit-ins, Signature Tower, Mall at Green Hills
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Cain-Sloan

Cain-Sloan Co. Inc. was a department store chain based in Nashville, Tennessee, United States. Paul Lowe Sloan, Pat Cain and John E. Cain founded Cain-Sloan in Nashville in 1903. The company merged with Allied Stores Corp. of New York in 1955 and remained under its umbrella before being sold to, and renamed, Dillard's in 1987. The chain had four locations: Downtown Nashville, Hickory Hollow Mall, Rivergate Mall, and The Mall at Green Hills.

Civil Rights movement

Cain-Sloan was a target of one of the earliest sit-in protests by young African-Americans in Nashville during the Civil Rights Movement. On December 5, 1959, future Congressman John Lewis led a group of college students who entered the store intending to sit at its lunch counter. They were politely asked to leave, and they did so.[1] After the march 19 April 1960 on Nashville's courthouse and the admission by Mayor Ben West that lunch counters "ought to be desegregated",[2] Cain-Sloan and other downtown Nashville stores quietly opened their counters to all races as of May 10, 1960.

Conversion to Dillard's

In 1987, shortly before Allied Stores merged with Campeau Corporation,[3] the four Cain-Sloan stores were sold to Dillard's in a separate deal. Dillard's entered Nashville as it took over operations of the three mall stores, but closed the downtown store instead of converting it, the first blow to the fledgling Church Street Center mall, which had built a connector to Cain-Sloan. In 1991, Dillard's replaced the former Cain-Sloan with a new building at Hickory Hollow Mall as part of a mall expansion.

Since then, Dillard's has expanded in the Nashville market by building two new stores (Bellevue Center and Cool Springs Galleria) and acquiring three former Castner Knott stores (Donelson Plaza, Harding Mall, and Murfreesboro's Stones River Mall). Dillard's has since rebuilt the Stones River location and closed the Harding Mall, Donelson Plaza, Bellevue Center and Hickory Hollow Mall locations. Hickory Hollow was the first of the converted Cain-Sloan locations to close, though it left its original building in 1991.

References


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.