World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Colonia Lapin


Colonia Lapin is a settlement located near the town of Rivera in the southwest region of the Province of Buenos Aires, Argentina, in the Municipality of Adolfo Alsina.

History

Jewish immigrants founded Colonia Lapin on November 6, 1919. Colonia Lapin was originally settled by twenty five families from Colonia Esmeralda (Bernasconi) in the Province of Buenos Aires due to the unfavorable conditions, given the climate and the lack of drinking water. Mr. Eusebio Lapin, the Director of the Jewish Colonization Association, brought about the colonization that had listened the sufferings of these colonists. He was able to acquire 36 square miles (93 km2) of land from Baron Maurice de Hirsch of Estación Rivera to pass on to the colonist. In return, the families gave the Baron a share of the crops. The colony was originally registered as Phillippson No 3, but its first settlers carried out the procedures to call it "Colonia Lapin", in recognition and gratitude to Eusebio Lapin.

In 1921 more families arrived and the colony begins to have life. When the Colony was installed, no services or commerce existed. By 1921 significant economic, social, and spiritual needs brought about different institutions such as a primary school, Hebrew school, synagogue, and an arts center/theater/library.

While “Colonia Lapin” still remains, most of the residents have left and many of the farms have been consolidated. The theater still exists and a monument has been erected in dedication to the founding families.

External links

  • (Spanish) History of Colonia Lapin
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.