World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Esquerdes

Article Id: WHEBN0013022242
Reproduction Date:

Title: Esquerdes  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Arrondissement of Saint-Omer
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Esquerdes

Esquerdes
Esquerdes
Esquerdes

Coordinates: 50°42′19″N 2°11′18″E / 50.7053°N 2.1883°E / 50.7053; 2.1883Coordinates: 50°42′19″N 2°11′18″E / 50.7053°N 2.1883°E / 50.7053; 2.1883

Country France
Region Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Department Pas-de-Calais
Arrondissement Saint-Omer
Canton Lumbres
Intercommunality Pays de Lumbres
Government
 • Mayor Gilbert Chiquet
Area
 • Land1 9.4 km2 (3.6 sq mi)
Population (2007)
 • Population2 1,620
 • Population2 density 170/km2 (450/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 62309 / 62380
Elevation 25–139 m (82–456 ft)
(avg. 45 m or 148 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Esquerdes is a commune in the Pas-de-Calais department in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of France.

Geography

A farming village situated 4 miles (6 km) southwest of Saint-Omer, on the D211 road. The A26 autoroute passes very close by.

Etymology

The village name first appears as Squerda in the year 857. Later known as Ekarde and finally as Esquerdes.

History

An ancient village, Esquerdes was on the Roman road, the Leulène, that ran from Thérouanne to Sangatte on the coast. An archaeological survey of 1984 revealed traces of the Neolithic period (flint and carved bone) at two sites known as Les Tripoux and Le Paradis.
The private Crèvecoeur farm, near the river, is made up of a number of buildings dating from the fifteenth century that belonged to John de Trémoillepuis and his son, Philippe de Crèvecoeur, who served under Charles the Bold, Duke of Burgundy and Kings Louis XI and Charles VII. He was appointed Marshall of France in 1483 and changed his surname to that of Esquerdes.
The story of Esquerdes is linked to the development of two major industries of paper and gunpowder, which developed from the time of Louis XIV until the 19th century and which led to a large growth in population. In 1790, the town was large enough (with its 500 inhabitants) to be appointed chief town of the canton. Two hundred years or so later, this figure has more than tripled.

Population

Historical population of Esquerdes
Year 1962196819751982199019992007
Population 1147120511821278153014601620
From the year 1962 on: population without double counting—residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel) are counted only once.

Places of interest

  • The church of St.Martin, dating from the twelfth century.
  • The remains of a fifteenth-century chateau.
  • The old paper mill, still working in a small capacity.
  • The gunpowder factory.

Notable people

  • Philippe de Crèvecœur d'Esquerdes (1418–1494), Marshal of France in 1486 and seigneur of the village.

See also

References

  • INSEE commune file

External links

  • Esquerdes on the Quid website (French)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.