World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0013127854
Reproduction Date:

Title: Nœux-les-Mines  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Raymond Kopa, Arrondissement of Béthune, List of twin towns and sister cities in France, Spoil tip, List of schools in France, Robert A. Little, Ladislas Kijno, 2009–10 in French football
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia



Coordinates: 50°28′49″N 2°39′56″E / 50.4803°N 2.6656°E / 50.4803; 2.6656Coordinates: 50°28′49″N 2°39′56″E / 50.4803°N 2.6656°E / 50.4803; 2.6656

Country France
Region Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Department Pas-de-Calais
Arrondissement Béthune
Canton Canton of Nœux-les-Mines
Intercommunality Nœux et environs
 • Mayor (2008–2014) Jacques Villedary
 • Land1 8.84 km2 (3.41 sq mi)
Population (2006)
 • Population2 12,256
 • Population2 density 1,400/km2 (3,600/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 62617 / 62290
Elevation 23–76 m (75–249 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Nœux-les-Mines is a commune in the Pas-de-Calais department in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of France.


Nœux-les-Mines is situated some 4 miles (6.4 km) south of Béthune and 25 miles (40.2 km) southwest of Lille, at the junction of the D937 and D65 roads. As the name of the town itself might imply, it was established as a coal mining centre, however with the decline of the mining industry in the area Nœux-les-Mines has evolved to become a light industrial and farming town.


Nœux-les-Mines was first recorded in the 4th century as Vitri. It was destroyed in 882 by the Normans, before being rebuilt in the 10th century, when it became known as Noewe.

It was part of the small province of Gohelle, itself part of the province of Artois, and was mainly an agricultural town with associated small activities incidental to farming, such as flour mills, sugar mills and breweries.

The name was transformed from Noewe to Nœux-lez-Béthune over the years, but became Nœux-les-Mines in 1887, a few years after the discovery of coal deposits in 1850, when the population numbered a mere 1100 inhabitants. From the opening of the first pit in 1851 the town experienced a strong surge in population up until 1962. All the pits were closed down between 1956 and 1968.

In 1996, the commune transformed one of its old mine ramps into an artificial ski slope, which operates throughout the year. Within this same sports complex (Loisinord) is a boating lake.


Population history
1962 1968 1975 1982 1990 1999 2006
14,113 13,325 13,567 13,166 12,351 11,966 12,256
Census count starting from 1962: Population without duplicates

Places of interest

  • The church of St.Martin, dating from the nineteenth century.
  • The Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemetery.
  • The coal mining museum.
  • A modern church dedicated to St.Barbe.
  • An eighteenth-century farmhouse.
  • An oil-pressing mill.

Notable people

Twin towns

See also


  • INSEE commune file

External links

  • The CWGC graves in the churchyard
  • The CWGC cemetery
  • Nœux-les-Mines on the Quid website (French)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.