World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

466th Bombardment Group

Article Id: WHEBN0014500772
Reproduction Date:

Title: 466th Bombardment Group  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 354th Operations Group, Eighth Air Force, 392d Strategic Missile Wing, 20th Operations Group, 14th Operations Group
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

466th Bombardment Group

466th Bombardment Group
466th Bombardment Group insignia
Active 1943–1945
Country United States
Branch United States Army Air Forces
Role Bombardment
Part of Eighth Air Force
Garrison/HQ European Theatre of World War II

The 466th Bombardment Group is an inactive United States Army Air Forces unit. Its last assignment was to the Second Air Force, being stationed at Davis-Monthan Field, Arizona. It was inactivated on 17 October 1945.

During World War II, the group was an Eighth Air Force B-24 Liberator unit in England, assigned to RAF Attlebridge. Its 785th Bomb Squadron flew 55 consecutive missions without loss. The 466th flew its last combat mission on 25 April 1945.

History

Consolidated B-24J-20-FO Liberator Serial 44-48807 '807' T9-B of the 784th Bomb Squadron
Liberators of the 785th Bomb Squadron

Constituted as the 466th Bombardment Group (Heavy) on 19 May 1943, the unit was officially activated on 1 August 1943 at Alamogordo AAFd, New Mexico. Personnel started training at Kearns Field in Utah at the end of August 1943, remaining there until 24 November 1943 when the unit moved back to Alamogordo AAFd. In February 1944 they moved to Topeka Kansas for a week before beginning the trip overseas to England.

The ground units sailed from New York on the Queen Mary on 28 February 1944. The air unit took the southern ferry route and arrived at RAF Attlebridge England, in March 1944, where they were assigned to the Eighth Air Force. The 466th was assigned to the 96th Combat Bombardment Wing. Their group tail code was "Circle-L".

The 466th began operations on 22 March 1944 by participating in a daylight raid on Berlin. The group operated primarily as a strategic bombardment organization, attacking such targets as marshalling yards at Liege, an airfield at St Trond, a repair and assembly plant at Reims, an airfield at Chartres, factories at Brunswick, oil refineries at Bohlen, aircraft plants at Kempten, mineral works at Hamburg, marshalling yards at Saarbrücken, a synthetic oil plant at Misburg, a fuel depot at Dulmen, and aero engine works at Eisenach.

Other operations included attacking pillboxes along the coast of Normandy on D-Day (6 June 1944), and afterwards striking interdictory targets behind the beachhead; bombing enemy positions at Saint-Lô during the Allied breakthrough in July 1944; hauling oil and gasoline to Allied forces advancing across France in September; hitting German communications and transportation during the Battle of the Bulge, December 1944 – January 1945; and bombing the airfield at Nordhorn in support of the airborne assault across the Rhine on 24 March 1945.

The 466th flew its last combat mission on 25 April 1945, striking a transformer station at Traunstein. During combat operations, the 785th Bomb Squadron flew 55 consecutive missions without loss. The group flew 232 combat missions with 5,762 sorties dropping 12,914 tons of bombs. They lost 47 aircraft in combat.

The group redeployed to the United States during June/July 1945. The air echelon departed Attlebridge in mid-June 1945. The ground units sailed from Greenock on the Queen Mary on 6 June 1945. They arrived in New York on 11 July 1945. The group was then established in Sioux Falls AAF South Dakota in July and was redesignated the 466th Bombardment Group (Very Heavy) in August 1945 and was equipped with B-29 Superfortress aircraft. The group was transferred to Pueblo Colorado, and then later to Davis Monthan Field, Arizona for Superfortress training and programmed for deployment to the Pacific Theater.

With the end of the war the Group was inactivated on 17 October 1945.

Lineage

  • Constituted as 466th Bombardment Group (Heavy) on 19 May 1943
Activated on 1 August 1943
Redesignated 466th Bombardment Group (Very Heavy) in August 1945
Inactivated on 17 October 1945.

Assignments

Components

Stations

Aircraft

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Childers, Thomas. Wings of Morning: The Story of the Last American Bomber Shot Down over Germany in World War II. Reading, Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley Pub. Co., 1995. ISBN 0-201-48310-6.
  • Freeman, Roger A. Airfields of the Eighth: Then and Now. After the Battle, 1978. ISBN 0-900913-09-6.
  • Freeman, Roger A. The Mighty Eighth: The Colour Record. Cassell & Co., 1991. ISBN 0-304-35708-1.
  • Maurer, Maurer. Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama: Office of Air Force History, 1983. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
  • Woolnough, John H. Attlebridge Diaries: The History of the 466th Bombardment Group (Heavy). Hollywood, Florida: 8th Air Force News, 1979 (Reprinted 1985 by Sunflower University Press. Second Expanded Edition Dallas, Texas: Taylor Pub., 1995).

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.