Annenkov island

Annenkov Island
Satellite image of the island

Map showing Annenkov Island
Geography
Coordinates

54°29′S 37°5′W / 54.483°S 37.083°W / -54.483; -37.083Coordinates: 54°29′S 37°5′W / 54.483°S 37.083°W / -54.483; -37.083

Archipelago South Georgia Islands
Length 4 mi (6 km)
Highest elevation 650 m (2,130 ft)
Country
United Kingdom
Demographics
Population Uninhabited

Annenkov Island is to the west of the main island of South Georgia. The Pickersgill Islands are its south west. It is irregularly-shaped and 4 miles (6 km) long and 650 m (2,130 ft) high, lying 8 miles (13 km) off the south-central coast of South Georgia.

History

The island was discovered in January 1775 by a British expedition under James Cook, who named it Pickersgills Island for Lieutenant Richard Pickersgill of the expedition ship HMS Resolution. Resighted in 1819 by a Russian expedition under Fabian Gottlieb von Bellingshausen on the Vostok, who, thinking he was the discoverer of the island, named it Annenkov Island for Lieutenant Mikhail Annenkov, officer on the expedition ship. The name Pickersgill has become established for a group of islands 15 miles (24 km) to the southeast — see Pickersgill Islands.

Wildlife

A Site of Special Scientific Interest, Annenkov is one of the few rat-free islands of the South Georgia archipelago. And as Bellinghausen lamented there is "not a single shrub nor any vegetation" on the island.

500 wandering albatross pairs breed here.

Landings are only allowed here with permission.

Geology

Annenkov's highest point is Olstad Peak (54°29′S 37°5′W / 54.483°S 37.083°W / -54.483; -37.083 (Olstad Peak)), which rises to 650 m (2,130 ft). Olstad Peak was surveyed by the South Georgia Survey in the period 1951–57, and named by the United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Committee for Ola Olstad, Norwegian zoologist, member of the Norwegian expedition under Harald Horntvedt, 1927–28, and chief scientist of the Norwegian expedition under Nils Larsen, 1928-29.

It is one of the few places in South Georgia where fossils may be found.

Intrusion Lake

Intrusion Lake (54°29′S 37°4′W / 54.483°S 37.067°W / -54.483; -37.067 (Intrusion Lake)) is a lake, 0.2 miles (0.3 km) long, located north-northeast of Olstad Peak in central Annenkov Island. Mapped by the British Antarctic Survey in 1972–73 and so named because its irregular shape is controlled by several intrusions of andesite along its north shore.

See also

References

  • Stonehouse, B (ed.) Encyclopedia of Antarctica and the Southern Oceans (2002, ISBN 0-471-98665-8)

External links

  •  This article incorporates Geographic Names Information System).
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.