World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Antigo Air Force Station

Article Id: WHEBN0026405560
Reproduction Date:

Title: Antigo Air Force Station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 37th Air Division, Willow Run Air Force Station, Bendix AN/FPS-18 Radar, Cape Makkovik Air Station, Cut Throat Island Air Station
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Antigo Air Force Station

Antigo Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
South-southwest of Antigo, Wisconsin
USAF photo, 14 January 1972
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Code ADC ID: P-19, NORAD ID: Z-19
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Site history
Built 1951
In use 1951-1977
Garrison information
Garrison 676th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Antigo AFS is located in Wisconsin
Antigo AFS
Antigo AFS
Location of Antigo AFS, Wisconsin
Emblem of the 676th Radar Squadron

Antigo Air Force Station is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 7.5 miles (12.1 km) south-southwest of Antigo, Wisconsin. It was closed in 1977.

History

In late 1951 Air Defense Command selected Antigo, Wisconsin site as one of twenty-eight radar stations built as part of the second segment of the permanent radar surveillance network. Prompted by the start of the Korean War, on July 11, 1950, the Secretary of the Air Force asked the Secretary of Defense for approval to expedite construction of the second segment of the permanent network. Receiving the Defense Secretary’s approval on July 21, the Air Force directed the Corps of Engineers to proceed with construction.

On 1 May 1951 the 676th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron began operating an AN/FPS-3 search radar and an AN/FPS-4 height-finder radar in June 1952, and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes. At the end of 1958 Antigo was operating an AN/FPS-20 search radar and an AN/FPS-6 height-finder radar. A second AN/FPS-6B height-finder radar was added in 1959.

During 1960 Antigo AFS joined the Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) system, initially feeding data to DC-14 at K. I. Sawyer AFB, Michigan. After joining, the squadron was re-designated as the 676th Radar Squadron (SAGE) on 15 July 1960. The radar squadron provided information 24/7 the SAGE Direction Center where it was analyzed to determine range, direction altitude speed and whether or not aircraft were friendly or hostile. In June 1963, the SAGE feed was switched to DC-12 at McChord AFB. In October 1963, the data feed was switched to DC-10 at Duluth AFS, Minnesota and in June 1964 to DC-07 at Truax Field, Wisconsin.

During 1962 an AN/FPS-35 replaced the AN/FPS-20 set. On 31 July 1963, the site was redesignated as NORAD ID Z-19. The AN/FPS-6B was modified to an AN/FPS-90 in 1964. The AN/FPS-6 was also modified to an AN/FPS-90 in 1966. One AN/FPS-90 was retired in 1969.

In addition to the main facility, Antigo operated the following AN/FPS-18 Gap Filler sites:

Over the years, the equipment at the station was upgraded or modified to improve the efficiency and accuracy of the information gathered by the radars.

In March 1977 the Air Force announced that the station would be closing due to what was called "redundancies with more strategically located radars". The 676th Radar Squadron (SAGE) was inactivated on 30 June 1977, and the facility was closed.

Today, Antigo Air Force Station remains abandoned, badly deteriorating 30 years after its inactivation.

Air Force units and assignments

Units

  • Established as 676th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Activated on 1 May 1951
Redesignated 676th Radar Squadron (SAGE) on 15 July 1960
Redesignated 676th Radar Squadron on 1 February 1974
Inactivated on 30 June 1977

Assignments

4706th Defense Wing, 16 February 1953
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.