World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Belmont District, Pennsylvania

Belmont District
Former District
Belmont School in Belmont, September 2010
Country United States
State Pennsylvania
County Philadelphia
Coordinates
Timezone EST (UTC-5)
 - summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4)
Area code 215
Map of Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania highlighting the Belmont District prior to the Act of Consolidation, 1854
Location of Belmont District in Pennsylvania
Location of Pennsylvania in the United States

Belmont District is a defunct district that existed briefly in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania. The district was created on 14 April 1853 from northern Blockley Township ceased to exist and on 2 February 1854 and was incorporated into the City of Philadelphia following the passage of the Act of Consolidation, 1854.

The name Belmont is still used as a neighborhood name for the area, although it no longer refers to any legal entity. Similar name-inheritance (where the name of a former municipality lives on as a neighborhood name without formal definition) is also seen in other Philadelphia neighborhoods.

History

Belmont District was created by act of the Assembly on April 14, 1853. It embraced the part of Blockley Township which lay along the Schuylkill River from the northern boundary-line of West Philadelphia to the northern boundary-line between Philadelphia and Montgomery counties, and had also its western boundary on that line. This district had scarcely time to be organized before the Act of Consolidation of February 2, 1854, put an end to its franchises.

The name was derived from Belmont, the country seat of the Peters family, which is now part of Fairmount Park. The mansion was erected by William Peters about 1743, and the name was descriptive of the fine position of the property and suggestive of the beautiful views of the river and valley of the Schuylkill. The property became the estate of Judge Richard Peters, Jr., of the United States District Court; he lived there until his death, August 22, 1828.

The Belmont School was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.[1]

Resources

  1. ^ "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places.  
  • Chronology of the Political Subdivisions of the County of Philadelphia, 1683–1854
  • Information courtesy of ushistory.org
  • Incorporated District, Boroughs, and Townships in the County of Philadelphia, 1854 By Rudolph J. Walther – excerpted from the book at the ushistory.org website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.