World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Benghazi Cathedral

Article Id: WHEBN0022696387
Reproduction Date:

Title: Benghazi Cathedral  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Italian settlers in Libya, Roman Catholic churches in Libya, Italian colonial empire, Italian 1st Eritrean Division, Italian 2nd Eritrean Division
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Benghazi Cathedral

A view of the Cathedral in the 1960s, along the city's corniche

Benghazi Cathedral is a former Roman Catholic cathedral in the city of Benghazi, Libya. It is located in the city center and is currently disused and undergoing renovation work.

History

Benghazi Cathedral was built between 1929 and 1939, and was one of the largest churches in North Africa.[1] The building was later used as a headquarters for the Arab Socialist Union.[2]

It later became vacant and derelict. As of 2009, the cathedral and its entire site are currently under renovation by an Italian company.

Architectural features

The building is a good example of neo-classical architecture, and was designed by Italian architects Guido Ottavo and Cabiati Ferrazza. The cathedral's architecture is based on that of a basilica. The entrance has a portico with six Doric columns. Its two characteristic domes cover both spans of the nave, while a series of oculi provide the cathedral's lighting. The building is heavily inspired by Italian religious architecture. Original plans show that the cathedral was not completed as planned; the drawings included a three story bell tower which was never built. It is nevertheless one of the largest churches in North Africa.

See also

Catholic Church

References

  1. ^ BENGHAZI:Former cathedral.
  2. ^ Eljahmi, Mohamed, (Winter 2006), Libya and the U.S.: Qadhafi Unrepentant, pp. 11-20, Middle East Quarterly , Accessed 16 June 2009.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.