World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bishop of Terracina

Article Id: WHEBN0015515040
Reproduction Date:

Title: Bishop of Terracina  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: March 22 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics), Epaphroditus, Oliviero Carafa
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Bishop of Terracina

Diocese of Latina-Terracina-Sezze-Priverno
Dioecesis Latinensis-Terracinensis-Setina-Privernensis
Latina Cathedral
Location
Country Italy
Ecclesiastical province Immediately subject to the Holy See
Statistics
Area 1,371 km2 (529 sq mi)
Population
- Total
- Catholics
(as of 2004)
305,490
299,380 (98%)
Parishes 87
Information
Denomination Catholic Church
Rite Roman Rite
Established 1st century
Cathedral Cattedrale di S. Marco (Latina)
Co-cathedral Concattedrale di S. Cesareo (Terracina)
Concattedrale di S. Maria (Sezze)
Concattedrale di S. Maria Annunziata (Priverno)
Current leadership
Pope
Bishop Giuseppe Petrocchi
Website
www.diocesilatina.it

The Italian Catholic Diocese of Latina-Terracina-Sezze-Priverno (Latin: Dioecesis Latinensis-Terracinensis-Setina-Privernensis), in Lazio, has existed under this name since 1986. It is the historic Diocese of Terracina, Priverno e Sezze, created in 1217, when the Diocese of Terracina was combined with the Diocese of Priverno and the Diocese of Sezze. It is immediately subject to the Holy See.[1]

History

According to tradition, the first bishop of Terracina was St. Epaphroditus. The most ancient Christian record of the city is that of the martyrdom of St. Julianus, priest, and St. Cæsareus, deacon, who were cast into the sea under the emperor Trajan; in the third century St. Quartus (bishop?) suffered.

The first bishop whose date is known with certainty is Sabinus (313). Among his successors were:

  • an African priest, St. Silvianus, a fugitive during the Vandal persecution (about 443);
  • Petrus (590), during whose episcopate the Jews were persecuted so severely in Terracina that Gregory the Great had to intervene;
  • under Agnellus, former Bishop of Fundi, which city had been destroyed, the two dioceses were unite.

The last three letters only of the name of another Bishop of Terracina, ... vsa, are preserved in an inscription (Corp. Inscr. Lat., X, I, 6419). Other bishops were:

  • Joannes (969), who made the vow that the inhabitants of the city should offer each year 6,000 eels to the monastery of Monte Cassino;
  • Ambrosius (1066), a Benedictine and ecclesiastical reformer;
  • Gregorius (1106), a Benedictine surnamed Columna Ecclesiœ.

About this time, if not earlier, the sees of Piperno (Privernum) and Sezze (Setia), situated on the side of the Lepinian hills, were united to Terracina. The union of the three dioceses was confirmed by Pope Honorius III (1217) during the episcopate of Simeone. Among his successors were:

  • the Franciscan Fra Giovanni (1362), who consecrated the cathedral;
  • Zaccaria Mori (1510), present at the Fifth Lateran Council;
  • Ottaviano Rovera (1545), nuncio in Switzerland and Spain;
  • Bernardo M. Conti (1710), brother of Pope Innocent XIII, cardinal.

In 1725 Pope Benedict XIII restored the See of Piperno and Sezze, declaring them united œque principaliter. Bishop Francesco Antonio Mondelli (1805) was exiled in 1809, for refusing to take the oath of loyalty to Napoleon. The Cistercian Abbey of Fossa Nuova is within the territory of this see. The diocese, which is immediately subject to the Holy See,[2]

  • Guglielmo Aretini-Sillani served from April 1835 until his resignation in December 1853.

Notes

References

  • public domain: 

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.