World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Blockley Township, Pennsylvania

Blockley Township
Former Township
Country United States
State Pennsylvania
County Philadelphia
Coordinates
Timezone EST (UTC-5)
 - summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4)
Area code 215
Map of Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania highlighting Blockley Township before the Act of Consolidation, 1854
Location of Blockley Township in Pennsylvania
Location of Pennsylvania in the United States

Blockley Township is a defunct township that was located in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania. Incorporated in 1704,[1] the township was incorporated into the City of Philadelphia under the 1854 Act of Consolidation.

History

An irregularly shaped area of 7,580 acres (31 km²), Blockley Township was located on the west side of the Schuylkill River, north of Kingsessing Township; bounded on the east by the Schuylkill; extending south from the county line, opposite to, but a little below, the mouth of the Wissahickon, down to the Nanganesy or Mill Creek, below the Woodlands; then by the same creek up to Chadd’s Ford Turnpike, known in later years as the Baltimore Pike; along the same to Cobb’s Creek; then by the courses of the same to the county line adjoining Lower Merion Township, Montgomery County, and along the same to the Schuylkill River.

Within its boundaries were the villages of Hamilton, Mantua, West Philadelphia, Hestonville and Haddington.

It was traversed by the Darby Road (today's Woodland Avenue) and Chadd’s Ford or Baltimore Pike, the road to West Chester, to Haverford and to Lancaster.

The name is derived from Blockley, a parish in England in Worcestershire from which the township's founder, William Warner, hailed. In Philadelphia, "Blockley" was synonymous with the Blockley Almshouse that opened here in 1832. The township also contained The Woodlands; the former estate of William Hamilton, grandson of Andrew Hamilton, which was converted in 1840 to the Woodlands Cemetery.

The boundaries and area changed on February 17, 1844, when the area encompassing Mantua and Hamilton were incorporated into the Borough of West Philadelphia, dividing the remaining township into two almost unconnected sections.

The township was incorporated into Philadelphia proper by the 1854 Act of Consolidation.

References

  1. ^ Sullivan, Promise and Kim Franklin. "Chapter 1: Pre-History to 1854". WEST PHILADELPHIA: THE BASIC HISTORY. University Archives of the University of Pennsylvania. Retrieved 26 August 2013. 
  2. ^ "Pennsylvania" (PDF). 1850 US Census. US Census Bureau. Retrieved 6 December 2013. 

Resources

  • Chronology of the Political Subdivisions of the County of Philadelphia, 1683-1854
  • Information courtesy of ushistory.org
  • Incorporated District, Boroughs, and Townships in the County of Philadelphia, 1854 By Rudolph J. Walther - excerpted from the book at the ushistory.org website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.