World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bodružal

Article Id: WHEBN0004392853
Reproduction Date:

Title: Bodružal  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Jasovská Cave, Svidník, 2004 World Monuments Watch, Bardejov, Slovakia
Collection: Villages and Municipalities in Svidník District
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Bodružal

The historic Church of St. Nicholas in Bodružal. The church has been reconstructed with the assistance of the U.S. Commission for the Preservation of America’s Heritage Abroad, and was blessed on September 18, 2003 by Bishop Ján Babjak of Prešov.

Bodružal (spelled Bodružaľ; 1927–1973, Hungarian: Rózsadomb, ) is a municipality (village) in Slovakia in the Svidník District in Prešov Region, within the Laborec Highlands.

The village, first mentioned in writing in 1600, is best known for housing a Baroque wooden church being a natural cultural monument in Slovakia.

Contents

  • Genealogical resources 1
  • Saint Nicholas Church (Bodruzal) 2
  • See also 3
  • External links 4

Genealogical resources

The records for genealogical research are available at the state archive "Statny Archiv in Presov, Slovakia"

  • Greek Catholic church records (births/marriages/deaths): 1823-1922 (parish A)

Saint Nicholas Church (Bodruzal)

St. Nicholas Church is a wooden Greek Catholic Church of the Eastern Rite situated in a village Bodruzal in Svidnik district in the Presov region. It is registered on the UNESCO's World Heritage List under an identification number 1273-007 since 8 July 2008.

The church is part of a unique urban entity situated on an elevated place in the village centre. Apart from the church it is made up of a separate bell tower, an adjacent cemetery and a wooden enclosure with a shingle roof and an entrance gate covered by a conical and an onion shape roof.

The church itself is a prototype church of the so-called Lemko type. It dates back to 1658 and belongs to the oldest wooden sacral buildings of the Eastern Rites in Slovakia.

The church has three towers. The construction is made out of logs, in a shape of three squares arranged on the same axis oriented from east to west. The exterior is decorated with vertically laid planks. The logs were also used on the construction of imitation tiered corbelled arches (of a truncated pyramid) in the sanctum and the nave. The arrangement of individual parts of the church represents the Holy Trinity. The church is situated on the highest hillock of the village. With its location it is higher than the rest of the buildings and houses.

The roof is made out of shingles. The tent roof above the presbytery and the nave is finished with a short square structure, to which conical bodies are attached to. To them baroque onion-like little roofs are fixed, finished with small shingle conical heads set with wrought iron crosses.

See also

External links

  • of living people in BodruzalSurnames



This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.