World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Brigidine Sisters

Article Id: WHEBN0011627920
Reproduction Date:

Title: Brigidine Sisters  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Brigidine Sisters, Basilian Alepian Sisters, Basilian Chouerite Sisters, Sisters of the Destitute, Congregation of Saint Thérèse of Lisieux
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Brigidine Sisters

Stained glass window by George Walsh depicting the six founding Brigidine Sisters with Bishop Delany in the garden at their convent in Tullow

The Brigidine Sisters (also known as the Brigidine Order, or simply the Brigidines) are a global Roman Catholic congregation, founded by Bishop Daniel Delany in Ireland on February 1, 1807. There were six founding members of the religious institute, all of whom were originally catechists: Eleanor Tallon, Margaret Kinsella, Eleanor Dawson, Judith Whelan, Bridget Brien and Catherine Doyle.

History

An earlier congregation linked to Saint Brigid had been founded in the fifth century AD, and had lasted until the Reformation; Bishop Delany considered the establishment of this new congregation to be merely a refounding of the original one. In order to demonstrate this continuity, he brought an oak sapling with him from Kildare and planted it in the grounds of the new convent in Tullow, Co. Carlow.

In 1809, he sent three of the sisters from Tullow to Mountrath in Co. Laois, where they founded a convent and school which survives to this day. In 1842, another house was established in Abbeyleix, also in Co. Laois. Then, in 1858 a layman in Goresbridge offered to help finance a foundation in his parish. The Paulstown and Ballyroan foundations soon followed.

In 1883, in answer to a request from a bishop in New South Wales, six sisters from Mountrath went to Australia. They founded their first establishment in Coonamble, New South Wales. From there branches quickly spread to the dioceses of Sydney, Bathurst, Canberra-Goulburn, Perth and Brisbane as well as to the Archdiocese of Wellington, New Zealand, in 1898.

The Sisters returned to the British Isles and founded the first two convents in the UK: St Brigid's School (1939) in Denbigh, Wales and Brigidine Convent (1948) in Windsor, England.

The archive of the Brigidine Sisters is stored in the The Delany Archive in Carlow College.

Mission and Ethos

The Brigidine motto is Fortiter et Suaviter, which is Latin for "Strength and Gentleness". Its mission is the education and evangelisation of youth.

Schools

Australia

New South Wales
Queensland
South Australia
Victoria
Western Australia

New Zealand

United Kingdom

External links

  • The Brigidine Sisters: Our beginnings - Australian Website
  • Delaney Archive - Brigidine Sisters Archive
  •  
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.