World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Brunswick Air Force Station

Article Id: WHEBN0030242513
Reproduction Date:

Title: Brunswick Air Force Station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 32d Air Division, Charleston Air Force Station, Presque Isle Air Force Base, Fort Sullivan (Maine), Willow Run Air Force Station
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Brunswick Air Force Station

Brunswick Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
Brunswick AFS is located in Maine
Brunswick AFS
Brunswick AFS
Location of Brunswick AFS, Maine
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Code ADC ID: P-13 NORAD ID: Z-13
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Site history
Built 1951
In use 1951-1965
Garrison information
Garrison 654th Aircraft Control and Warning (later Radar) Squadron
654th Radar Squadron Emblem

Brunswick Air Force Station is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 2.5 miles (4.0 km) east-southeast of Brunswick, Maine. It was closed in 1965.

Brunswick AFS was one of the first of twenty-four stations of the 1949 permanent Air Defense Command radar network. On December 2, 1948, the Air Force directed the Army Corps of Engineers to proceed with construction of this and the other twenty-three sites.

History

The 654th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron was assigned to Brunswick on 1 January 1951 and began operating a pair of AN/CPS-6B radars from here in October, assuming coverage previously provided by the Lashup site at Grenier AFB, New Hampshire (L-4), and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes.

An AN/FPS-8 radar was added in 1955. The Air Force eventually converted this unit to an AN/GPS-3 radar that served at Brunswick until the 1960s. In 1958 the AN/CPS-6Bs were retired and two AN/FPS-6 height-finder radars were installed. During 1959 Brunswick AFS joined the Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) system, feeding data to DC-05 at Topsham AFS, Maine. After joining, the squadron was re-designated as the 654th Radar Squadron (SAGE) on 1 October 1959.

The radar squadron provided information 24/7 the SAGE Direction Center where it was analyzed to determine range, direction altitude speed and whether or not aircraft were friendly or hostile. On 31 July 1963, the site was redesignated as NORAD ID Z-13.

In addition to the main facility, Brunswick AFS operated an AN/FPS-14 unmanned Gap Filler site:

  • Sedgwick, ME (P-13A)

Over the years, the equipment at the station was upgraded or modified to improve the efficiency and accuracy of the information gathered by the radars. The site was slated to receive an AN/FPS-35 search radar, but plans were cancelled, probably due to pending site deactivation. This site was removed from service on 25 June 1965 along with other ADC sites as part of a consolidation of resources.

The facility was eventually absorbed into the now-defunct Naval Air Station Brunswick, and its facilities were integrated into the NAS. A large radar tower remains standing. The Gap Filler support building at Sedgwick remains, the radar long since dismantled.

Air Force units and assignments

Units:

  • 654th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron, Assigned 8 March 1951
Was activated 8 December 1949 at Grenier Field, New Hampshire, moved ca. 1 April 1950 at Dow AFB (L-1), ME (not equipped or manned)
Redesignated 654th Radar Squadron (SAGE), 1 October 1959
Discontinued 25 June 1965

Assignments:

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.