World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Chernigov Governorate

Article Id: WHEBN0006481563
Reproduction Date:

Title: Chernigov Governorate  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Little Russia Governorate, Nikolai Kibalchich, Chernihiv Governorate, Peter Borovsky, Poltava Governorate
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Chernigov Governorate

Chernigov Governorate
Черниговская губернiя
Governorate of Russian Empire

1802–1918

Coat of arms of Chernigov

Coat of arms

Location of Chernigov
Chernigov Governorate 1903
Capital Chernihiv
History
 •  Established February 27, 1802 1802
 •  Disestablished August 1, 1918 1918
Area
 •  (1897) 52,396 km2 (20,230 sq mi)
Population
 •  (1897) 2,298,000 
Density 43.9 /km2  (113.6 /sq mi)
Political subdivisions uezds: 15
Today part of Chernihiv Oblast
Kiev Oblast
Bryansk Oblast

The Chernigov Governorate (Russian: Черниговская губерния; translit.: Chernigovskaya guberniya), also known as the Government of Chernigov, was a guberniya in the historical Left-bank Ukraine region of the Russian Empire, which was officially created in 1802 from the Malorossiya Governorate with an administrative centre of Chernihiv. The Little Russian Governorate was transformed into the General Government of Little Russia and consisted of Chernihiv Governorate, Poltava Governorate, and later Kharkiv Governorate.

Chernigov Governorate borders are roughly consistent with the modern Chernihiv Oblast, but also included a large section of Sumy Oblast and smaller sections of the Kiev Oblast of Ukraine, in addition to most of the Bryansk Oblast, Russia.

Administrative division

The governorate consisted of 15 uyezds:

The Chernigov Governorate covered a total area of 52,396 km², and had a population of 2,298,000, according to the 1897 Russian Empire census. In 1914, the population was 2,340,000. In 1918 it became part of Ukraine and transformed into Chernihiv Governorate.

Principal cities

  • Russian Census of 1897
  • Nizhyn – 32,113 (Ukrainian – 21,733, Jewish – 7,578, Russian – 2,366)
  • Chernihiv – 27,716 (Ukrainian – 10,085, Jewish – 8,780, Russian – 7,985)
  • Konotop – 18,770 (Ukrainian – 10,290, Jewish – 4,415, Russian – 3,565)
  • Novozybkov – 15,362 (Russian – 11,055, Jewish – 3,787, Belorussian – 303)
  • Hlukhiv – 14,828 (Ukrainian – 8,621, Jewish – 3,837, Russian – 2,217)
  • Borzna – 12,526 (Ukrainian – 10,846, Jewish – 1,515, Russian – 109)
  • Starodub – 12,381 (Russian – 7,255, Jewish – 4,897, Ukrainian – 133)
  • Krolevets – 10,384 (Ukrainian – 8,328, Jewish – 1,815, Russian – 209)
  • Berezna – 9,922 (Ukrainian – 8,349, Jewish – 1,354, Russian – 144)
  • Novgorod-Seversky – 9,182 (Ukrainian – 4,884, Jewish – 2,941, Russian – 1,296)
  • Mhlyn – 7,640 (Russian – 4,840, Jewish – 2,675, Belorussian – 75)
  • Sosnytsia – 7,087 (Ukrainian – 5,068, Jewish – 1,840, Russian – 158)
  • Korop – 6,262 (Ukrainian – 5,309, Jewish – 865, Russian – 77)
  • Oster – 5,370 (Ukrainian – 3,229, Jewish – 1,596, Russian – 399)
  • Kozelets – 5,141 (Ukrainian – 2,834, Jewish – 1,632, Russian – 468)
  • Pogar – 4,965 (Russian – 3,800, Jewish – 1,159, Germans – 6)
  • Gorodnya – 4,310 (Ukrainian – 2,349, Jewish – 1,248, Russian – 604)
  • Surazh – 4,006 (Jewish – 2,400, Belorussian – 978, Russian – 559)
  • Novoye Mesto – 1,488 (Russian – 1,421, Jewish – 67)

Language

  • By the Imperial census of 1897.[1] In bold are languages spoken by more people than the state language.

See also

References and notes

  1. ^ Language Statistics of 1897 (Russian)
  2. ^ Languages, number of speakers which in all gubernia were less than 1000

External links

  • Chernigov Guberniya – Article in Brockhaus and Efron Encyclopedic Dictionary (Russian)
  • Chernigov Governorate – Historical coat of arms (Ukrainian)/(English)
  • Chernihiv gubernia – Article in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.