World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Chrystie Street

Article Id: WHEBN0022001750
Reproduction Date:

Title: Chrystie Street  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Dixon Place, Chinatown, Manhattan, Bogardus Place, Lower East Side, Centre Market Place
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Chrystie Street

Chrystie Street is a street on Manhattan's Lower East Side, running from Second Avenue and Houston Street, seven blocks south to Canal Street. It is bounded on the east for its entirety by Sara Delano Roosevelt Park, for the creation of which the formerly built-up east side of Chrystie Street (the even numbers) was razed, eliminating among other structures three small synagogues.[1] Originally called First Street, it was renamed for Col. John Chrystie, a veteran of the War of 1812 and a member of the Philolexian Society of Columbia University, and a new First Street was laid out above Houston Street.

In 1967, the Chrystie Street Connection, a major connecting line of the New York City Subway opened; it is one of the few connections between lines of the (former) BMT and IND divisions. The B D trains of the New York City Subway can be reached at Grand Street.

Notable locations

The second African Burying Ground was located on the west side of First (Chrystie) Street, between Stanton and Rivington Streets, extending to the Bowery, after the African Burial Ground near Collect Pond was declared closed in 1794. In the 1820s St Philip's assumed ownership from the City Council, and when the cemetery was closed in 1853, remains were disinterred and removed to Cypress Hills Cemetery.[2]

From 1847 through 1854, New York's Temple Emanu-El was located at 56 Chrystie Street, the site now part of the Park.[3]

In popular culture

Chrystie Streets appears in "59 Chrystie Street", the first section of the 15th track on the album Paul's Boutique by American hip hop group the Beastie Boys, released on July 25, 1989. The address in the title refers to an early residence of Beastie Boys group members.[4]



  1. ^ The Synagogues of New York City
  2. ^ D. Jeffreys, "About the Garden"
  3. ^ Rachel Wischnitzer, Synagogue Architecture in the United States, Jewish Publication Society of America, 1955, p. 48
  4. ^ Spin magazine
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.