World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Continental Divide Air Force Station

Article Id: WHEBN0030547834
Reproduction Date:

Title: Continental Divide Air Force Station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Willow Run Air Force Station, Bendix AN/FPS-18 Radar, Cape Makkovik Air Station, Cut Throat Island Air Station, Fox Harbour Air Station
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Continental Divide Air Force Station

Continental Divide Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
Continental Divide AFS is located in New Mexico
Continental Divide AFS
Continental Divide AFS
Location of Continental Divide AFS, New Mexico
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Site history
Built 1951
In use 1951-1961
Garrison information
Garrison 769th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Emblem of the 769th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron

Continental Divide Air Force Station (ADC ID: P-7) is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 7.4 miles (11.9 km) west of Thoreau, New Mexico. It was closed in 1961.

History

In late 1951 Air Defense Command selected this mountainous site near Thoreau, New Mexico as one of twenty-eight radar stations built as part of the second segment of the permanent radar surveillance network. Prompted by the start of the Korean War, on July 11, 1950, the Secretary of the Air Force asked the Secretary of Defense for approval to expedite construction of the second segment of the permanent network. Receiving the Defense Secretary’s approval on July 21, the Air Force directed the Corps of Engineers to proceed with construction.

On 1 January 1951 the 769th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron was activated at the site, designated as Gonzales, NM. The initial assignment of personnel was four officers and forty-three airmen. The radars consisted of AN/FPS-3 and AN/FPS-5 sets, and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes. On 1 December 1953, the site was renamed Continental Divide Air Force Station.

Facilities on the station consisted of a multi-purpose building containing a Barbershop, a Day Room/Library, a Gymnasium with a single basketball backboard which doubled as an auditorium for Commander's Call, training lectures, and movies. An outdoor tennis court and also an Airman's barracks was constructed, along with a 16 place trailer park was also available.

In 1955 an AN/FPS-4 height-finder radar was installed, only to be replaced a year later by an AN/FPS-6 model. At the end of 1960, this radar was transferred to the Federal Aviation Administration pending inactivation of the 769th on 1 July 1961 due to budget reductions.

After the station was closed, the site was turned over to the General Services Administration for disposal. The United States Forest Service used the facilities until 1974 when it was provided to the Bureau of Indian Affairs for their use. In December 1985 the site was closed and the five buildings remaining on the site were torn down, the site restored to a natural state.

Today, what once was Continental Divide AFS has been razed. The streets of the station remain, and a few buildings are in very decrepit condition. It has largely returned to the elements.

Air Force units and assignments

Units

  • Constituted as the 769th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron on 14 November 1950
Activated at Gonzales, New Mexico on 27 November 1950
Site renamed Continental Divide Air Force Station on 1 December 1953
Discontinued and inactivated on 1 July 1961

Assignments

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.