World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Dallas Center Air Force Station

Dallas Center Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
Dallas Center AFS is located in Iowa
Dallas Center AFS
Dallas Center AFS
Location of Dallas Center AFS, Iowa
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Site history
Built 1955
In use 1955-1957
Garrison information
Garrison 650th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Emblem of the 650th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron

Dallas Center Air Force Station (ADC ID: M-122) is a United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station 3.7 miles (6.0 km) northeast of Dallas Center, Iowa, that was closed in 1957.

History

Dallas Center Air Force Station was established as part of the planned deployment by Air Defense Command of forty-four Mobile radar stations across the United States to support the permanent Radar network established during the Cold War for air defense of the United States. This deployment had been projected to be operational by mid-1952.

The site consisted of a total of 38.92 acres fee by purchase and condemnation and no-area license by donation made between March 1954 and November 1956. Funding, constant site changes, construction, and equipment delivery delayed deployment. Improvements at the site consisted of: Radar station; traffic check house; power building; mess hall; administration building; two supply buildings; 65-man airmen's barracks; base auto shop; water storage and pump house; above and underground storage tanks; sanitary sewer system; streets, drives, sidewalks, and parking areas.

Operational status was achieved in 1956 after the 650th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron was moved to Dallas Center on 1 July 1955 with an AN/TPS-1D radar that had been moved in from Fort Snelling, Minnesota, and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes. The construction of the buildings were almost all wood or sheetrock.

Budget cuts forced Dallas Center AFS to cease operations in mid-1957 and the tending 650th AC&W Squadron was inactivated shortly thereafter. The site was then converted to an unmanned AN/FPS-18 gap-filler radar annex (P-71C) for Omaha AFS, Nebraska. It was finally inactivated in December 1957. GSA reported excess 38.23 acres fee on October 30, 1959, and then quitclaimed it to a private party on March 7, 1961, reserving road and utility line easement to the 3.15 acres. Relatives of the private party still own the 38.92 acres, which include the site and access, on which the manned radar station was located.

Both buildings and radar tower are still extant, the site now being used for Greenhouses for truck crops and as an auto junkyard. In 1988, the owners stated only two structures remain and all the above ground storage tanks have been removed.

Air Force units and assignments

Units:

  • 650th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Activated 20 November 1948 at Orlando AFB, Florida
Inactivated ca. 27 September 1949
Activated at Snelling AFS, MN, 20 May 1953
Moved to Dallas Center AFS, IA on 1 July 1955
Inactivated on 8 October 1957

Assignments:

  • 539th Aircraft Control & Warning Group, 20 November 1948 - ca. 27 September 1949
  • [[31st
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.