World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Ducal Palace of Colorno

Article Id: WHEBN0007532141
Reproduction Date:

Title: Ducal Palace of Colorno  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Ferdinand, Duke of Parma, Baroque sites of Emilia-Romagna, Ducal Palace, Mauro Oddi, Baroque architecture in Emilia-Romagna
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Ducal Palace of Colorno

Façade of the Ducal Palace of Colorno.

The Ducal Palace, also known as Reggia di Colorno, is an edifice in the territory of Colorno (province of Parma), Emilia Romagna, Italy. It was built by Francesco Farnese, Duke of Parma in the early 18th century on the remains of a former castle.[1]

History

A Rocca (castle) was built on the site by Azzo da Correggio as a defence of the Po River. It belonged to the Correggio and Terzi families, and in the 16th-17th centuries it was restored by countess Barbara Sanseverino, who desired a true palace for her court, and to house her prestigious collection of works by painters such as Raphael, Titian, Mantegna and Correggio.

After the beheading of Barbara Sanseverino by the Duke Ranuccio Farnese, the palace was acquired by the Farnese of Parma. Ranuccio II and his wife Margherita Violante began a complete reconstruction that was completed under their son Francesco, directed by architect Ferdinando Bibbiena.

The palace was the home of the defunct Enrichetta d'Este, widow of Antonio Farnese, Duke of Parma.

In the 18th century, Duke Philip commissioned its restoration by the French architect Ennemond Alexandre Petitot, and tried to emulate in the interior the decor of the Palace of Versailles. Philip was married to Princess Louise Élisabeth of France, who was the eldest daughter of Louis XV of France.

On November 28, 1807, after the annexation of the Duchy of Parma to the French Empire, the palace was declared "imperial property" and new restoration works were started. After the Congress of Vienna, the duchy went to Marie Louise, Napoleon's wife, who made the Reggia her favourite residence and created a wide English-style garden.

After the unification of Italy, it became a state possession, and in 1870 it was acquired by the province of Parma, and is now home to ALMA, a world-renowned Italian culinary school.

The park

The first park dates from that of 1480, commissioned by count Roberto Sanseverino. Under Francesco Farnese it was renovated with a mix of French- and Italian-style landscape garden, which was further modified by Duchess Marie Louise.

Damaged during World War II, it has been recently returned to its antique splendour by a restoration.

References

  1. ^ Dana Facaros; Michael Pauls (2007-01-01). Bologna and Emilia Romagna. New Holland Publishers. pp. 141–.  

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.