World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Ducal Palace of Modena

Article Id: WHEBN0027961488
Reproduction Date:

Title: Ducal Palace of Modena  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Modena, Mary of Modena, Duchy of Modena and Reggio, Girolamo Rainaldi, Marano, Ducal Palace, List of palaces, Marcantonio Franceschini, Ercole III d'Este, Duke of Modena, Marie Jeanne Baptiste of Savoy-Nemours
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Ducal Palace of Modena


The Ducal Palace of Modena is a Baroque palace in Modena, Italy. It was the residence of the Este Dukes of Modena between 1452 and 1859. It currently houses a portion of the Italian Military Academy.

History


Construction of the palace started under Francesco I d'Este in 1634 and was finished by Francesco V. The palace occupies the site of the former Este Castle, once located in the periphery of the city. Although generally credited to Bartolomeo Avanzini, it has been suggested that advice and guidance in the design process had been sought from Pietro da Cortona, Gian Lorenzo Bernini and Francesco Borromini.

The Palace has a Baroque façade from which the Honour Court and the Honour Staircase can be accessed.

In 1696, Marcantonio Franceschini was commissioned to create a frescoed ceiling for the central Sala d'Onore ("Hall of Honour") for the marriage of Rinaldo d'Este to Princess Charlotte Felicity of Brunswick. The Salottino d'Oro ("Golden Sitting Room"), covered with gilted removable panels, was used by Duke Francis III as his main cabinet of work.

Modern use


The Palace currently houses the Italian Military Academy, the Military Museum and a precious Library.

Military ceremonies are held in the Honour Court.

Este births and deaths

Being a residential palace, a significant number of Este family members were born or died at the palace including:

See also


Coordinates: 44°38′54″N 10°55′46″E / 44.6484°N 10.9294°E / 44.6484; 10.9294

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.