World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Flintstone Air Force Station

Article Id: WHEBN0030439831
Reproduction Date:

Title: Flintstone Air Force Station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 32d Air Division, Willow Run Air Force Station, Bendix AN/FPS-14 Radar, Bendix AN/FPS-18 Radar, MIT AN/CPS-4 Radar
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Flintstone Air Force Station

Flintstone Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
Flintstone AFS
Flintstone AFS
Location of Flintstone AFS, Georgia
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Site history
Built 1955
In use 1955-1960
Garrison information
Garrison 867th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Emblem of the 867th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron

Flintstone Air Force Station (ADC ID: SM-165) is a closed Flintstone, Georgia. It was closed in 1960.

History

Flintstone Air Force Station was initially part of Phase II of the Air Defense Command Mobile Radar program. The Air Force approved this expansion of the Mobile Radar program on October 23, 1952. Radars in this network were designated “SM.”

The station became operational on 1 October 1955 when the 867th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron activated AN/MPS-11 and AN/TPS-10D radars at the site, and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes. By 1960 the 867th was operating AN/FPS-6 and AN/FPS-8 radars.

On 25 July 1960, the Air Force discontinued the 867th AC&W Squadron and closed Flintstone AFS on 31 July due to budgetary constraints.

Air Force units and assignments

Units

  • Constituted as the 867th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Activated at Dobbins AFB (M-87), GA on 8 June 1955
Moved to Flintstone AFS on 1 October 1955
Discontinued and inactivated on 25 July 1960

Assignments:

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.