World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Fordland Air Force Station

Article Id: WHEBN0030440249
Reproduction Date:

Title: Fordland Air Force Station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Willow Run Air Force Station, Bendix AN/FPS-14 Radar, Bendix AN/FPS-18 Radar, MIT AN/CPS-4 Radar, 4722d Air Defense Group
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Fordland Air Force Station

Fordland Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
Fordland AFS is located in Missouri
Fordland AFS
Fordland AFS
Location of Fordland AFS, Missouri
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Site history
Built 1951
In use 1951-1961
Garrison information
Garrison 797th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron

Fordland Air Force Station (ADC ID: P-68) is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 3.6 miles (5.8 km) east of Fordland, Missouri. It was closed in 1960.

History

Fordland AFS was one of twenty-eight stations built as part of the second segment of the Air Defense Command permanent radar network, primarily to provide air defense radar coverage for southern Missouri. Prompted by the start of the Korean War, on July 11, 1950, the Secretary of the Air Force asked the Secretary of Defense for approval to expedite construction of the permanent network. Receiving the Defense Secretary’s approval on July 21, the Air Force directed the Corps of Engineers to proceed with construction.

On 1 May 1951 the 797th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron began operating AN/FPS-3 and AN/FPS-4 radars from Fordland, and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes. During 1954 an AN/TPS-10D saw service here; it was removed in 1955. In 1958 an AN/FPS-6 replaced the AN/FPS-4 height-finder radar which was removed in 1959.

In 1960 Fordland began feeding data to the Manual Control Center (MCC-2) at Richards-Gebaur AFB, Missouri as the SAGE Data Center (DC-8) was not yet operational. However, Fordland Air Force Station was inactivated 1 June 1961 due to budget constraints.

The site was reported excess to GSA in 1961, when it was conveyed via quitclaim deed in 1962 by HEW to the State of Missouri, Division of Inmate Education. Today the site is the Ozark Correctional Center (OCC), a minimum security (C-2) institution. It is also shown on maps as Fordlands Honor Camp. Many Air Force buildings remain and are in use, and from aerial images, appears to have the radar towers still standing.

Air Force units and assignments

Units

  • Constituted as the 797th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Activated on 1 May 1951 at Fordland AFS, MO
Discontinued and inactivated on 1 June 1961

Assignments

159th Aircraft Control and Warning Group, 1 June 1951
33d Air Division, 6 February 1952

Fordland Honor Camp

The Fordland Air Force Station was acquired by the Missouri Department of Corrections and in 1961, the Fordland Honor Camp was opened. It was a satellite prison of the Missouri State Penitentiary to help ease the existing overcrowded conditions.

The first Commander of the newly opened Fordland Honor Camp was Sergeant Donald W. Wyrick, an employee of the Missouri State Penitentiary. He was specifically appointed to this position by Missouri State Penitentiary Warden E. V. Nash. Sergeant Wyrick would continue to work his

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.