World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Franciscan Sisters of Mary

Article Id: WHEBN0005547816
Reproduction Date:

Title: Franciscan Sisters of Mary  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Franciscan Sisters, Maryville Treatment Center, Mary Augustine Giesen, SSM Health Care, Nsambya Hospital
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Franciscan Sisters of Mary

Maryville Treatment Center at Mount Alverno on the bluffs above the 102 River

The Franciscan Sisters of Mary is a Roman Catholic religious congregation of religious sisters based in St. Louis, Missouri, which was formed in 1987 from the merger of two related congregations. The congregations founded hospitals throughout the Midwestern United States, which the current congregation still operates.

History

The congregation has its origins in St. Louis in the work of Mother Mary Odilia Berger who had emigrated from Germany in 1872 with four companions. The original congregation was the Sisters of St. Mary (S.S.M.). They received their name because their residence shared a door with St. Mary of Victories Church in downtown St. Louis.

Anna Katherine (later Mother Odilia) Berger was born in Regen in the Kingdom of Bavaria. In 1858 she joined the Poor Franciscan Sisters of the Holy Family of Pirmasens, Germany, founded by the Blessed Paul Joseph Nardini and was sent to beg in Paris.

In Paris she co-founded the Sisters Servants of the Sacred Heart in 1866 with the Abbé Peter-Victor Braun, but had to flee Paris when the city was besieged during the Franco-Prussian War. Berger spent several years in Elberfeld in the Rhineland, where she tried to start a new community with the same goals. Frustrated in this goal by the government of the Kulturkampf, she and four of her companions emigrated to St. Louis in 1872. In 1874 they founded the Sisters of St. Mary under the Rule of the Franciscan Third Order Regular.

In 1877 the congregation borrowed what was then the enormous sum of $16,000 in order to open St. Mary's Infirmary in St. Louis. In 1878 Berger sent a third of the members of the congregation to Canton, Mississippi, and Memphis, Tennessee, during a Yellow fever outbreak in those cities. Five young sisters were to die as a result.

In 1894 Mother Mary Augustine Giesen led six other Sisters to Maryville, Missouri, from St. Louis. After settling there, they eventually chose to separate from the founding congregation and they formed the Sisters of St. Francis of Maryville.

The new congregation focused on

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.