World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Galleria Comunale d'Arte Moderna, Rome

Galleria Comunale d'Arte Moderna
The Galleria Comunale d'Arte Moderna
Established 1883
Location Rome
Coordinates
Type museum of modern and contemporary art
The sculpture gallery of the Galleria Comunale d'Arte Moderna

The Galleria Comunale d'Arte Moderna is the museum of modern and contemporary art of the city of Rome, Italy. It is housed in a former Barefoot Carmelite monastery dating from the 17th century and adjacent to the church of San Giuseppe a Capo le Case, at 24 Via Francesco Crispi.

History

The origins of the collection of the museum date from a purchase by the comune of Rome of works from the Esposizione Internazionale di Belle Arti, or international fine art exhibition, of 1883. The museum was officially constituted in 1925. It was renamed "Galleria Mussolini" in 1931, closed in 1938 and re-opened in 1949. In 1995 it moved to the present premises. It was closed for restoration in 2003, and re-opened in 2011.[1]

In 2014 an expansion of the gallery between via Francesco Crispi and via Zucchelli was proposed, on waste land used by the Azienda Municipale Ambiente, the municipal rubbish disposal utility.[2]

Collections

The gallery contains more than 3000 sculptures, paintings and graphic works of the late 19th century and the early 20th century, by artists including

  1. ^ Storia del museo (in Italian). Galleria Comunale d'Arte Moderna. Accessed May 2013.
  2. ^ Carlo Alberto Bucci (19 August 2014). Galleria di via Crispi, maxi-ampliamento col deposito Ama e Casa Gagosian (in Italian). La Repubblica. Accessed August 2015.
  3. ^ Galleria d’Arte Moderna, viaggio tra forme e colori post risorgimentali e del Novecento (in Italian). Roma Capitale: Assessorato alle Politiche e Centro Storico – Sovrintendenza Capitolina ai Beni Culturali. Accessed May 2013.

References

[3]

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.