Guépratte Island

Guépratte Island is an ice-covered island 2.8 km (1.7 mi) long, lying between Anvers Island and Brabant Island at the east side of the entrance to Fournier Bay, in the Palmer Archipelago, Antarctica. The island was first shown on the Ludwig Friederichsen map of 1895, embodying the 1873–74 explorations of a German expedition under Eduard Dallmann. It was later charted by the French Antarctic Expedition, 1903–05, under Jean-Baptiste Charcot, who named it after Captain Guépratte of the French Navy. The name "Discovery Island", applied in 1927 by Discovery Investigations personnel on the Discovery, has been rejected in favour of the earlier name.[1]

Important Bird Area

A small (7 ha) islet lying about 1.5 km to the east of Guépratte has been identified as an Important Bird Area (IBA) by BirdLife International because it supports a breeding colony of Imperial Shags, with about 220 pairs recorded there in 1987.[2]

See also

References

 This article incorporates Geographic Names Information System).

Coordinates: 64°29′30″S 62°59′30″W / 64.49167°S 62.99167°W / -64.49167; -62.99167

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.