World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

John M. Mossman Lock Museum

The John M. Mossman Lock Collection is housed at the General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen of the City of New York building, located at 20 West 44th Street in midtown Manhattan, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The museum houses one of the largest collections of bank and vault locks in the world, with more than 370 locks, keys and tools dating from 4000 BC to the modern 20th-century.

Egyptian wooden-pin locks, Chinese padlocks, American time locks, etc., are all displayed in lighted glass cases on the second floor of the General Society. Alongside the cases are studded trunks, with cleverly concealed keyholes, once used by bankers. Many of the examples are unique, made-to-order locks that were not produced in commercial quantities and nearly every lock has protected millions in money and securities.

To augment the lock collection. Mr. Mossman donated his notes and scrapbooks, known as the "Mossman Papers", which have proven to be a valuable resource for the study of locks. The Lure of the Lock was published in 1928 and describes each lock in the collection. This publication, as well as a photo CD of the collection, are available from the Society.

Collections of various antebellum curios, rare books, prints, flags, clocks and medals have also been donated by friends and members. Admission is $10 for viewing this museum collection, which is open to the public.

References

  • Hopkins, Albert Allis, (1869–1939). The Lure of the Lock; a short treatise on locks to elucidate the John M. Mossman collection of locks in the museum of the General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen in the city of New York, including some of the "Mossman Papers". With 500 illustrations. New York, General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen (1928).

External links

  • Mossman Lock Collection - The General Society of Mechanics & Tradesmen of the City of New York

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.