World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Kionga Triangle

Article Id: WHEBN0000200082
Reproduction Date:

Title: Kionga Triangle  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of former German colonies, Tanzania, German East Africa, Postage stamps and postal history of Kionga, History of Mozambique
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Kionga Triangle

Kionga-Triangle in an Old German Map (lower right side)

The Kionga Triangle was a small territory on the East Coast of Africa. It lay between the colonies of German East Africa, the major part of present-day Tanzania, and Portuguese East Africa, the present-day Mozambique. The area covered just 1000 km² (400 mi²). It was German possession from 1894 to 1916, after which it became a possession of the Portuguese.

The Germans established an outpost south of the Rovuma River in 1894. Although there was no Portuguese presence in the immediate area, there had been a provisional agreement, in 1886, that the Rovuma river would mark the border between the two European national territories. There was an argument, therefore, that the German settlement had encroached onto Portuguese territory. The settlement of Kionga, now spelled Quionga, had a population of 4,000 inhabitants in 1910.

During the Great War, the Germans declared war on Portugal, in 1916. The Portuguese authorities seized the opportunity to 'restore' national sovereignty and promptly occupied the territory. At the end of the war, the Treaty of Versailles determined the border as running along the length of the Rovuma. This decision confirmed the Portuguese possession, but by German East Africa itself had fallen into British possession, as the Tanganyika Territory (TT). The local Makonde people thus learned to speak Portuguese, rather than German or English, to the administrative authorities. The Kionga Triangle was the only Portuguese territorial gain, de facto, for their participation in the First World War.

Since Mozambique became independent on 25 June 1975, the Kionga Triangle, or Quionga, has remained a part of Cabo Delgado Province.

Postage stamps

Postage stamps were issued for Kionga during its occupation; for more detail, see postage stamps and postal history of Kionga.

References

  • Thomas, H.B., "The Kionga Triangle", Tanganyika Notes and Records Volume 31 1951, pp. 47–50.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.