World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Kirksville Air Force Station

Kirksville Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
2008 photo of the FAA ARSR-1 Radar at the former Kirksville Air Force Station
Kirksville AFS is located in Missouri
Kirksville AFS
Kirksville AFS
Location of Kirksville AFS, Missouri
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Site history
Built 1952
In use 1952-1968
Garrison information
Garrison 790th Aircraft Control and Warning (Later Radar) Squadron
Emblem of the 790th Radar Squadron

Kirksville Air Force Station (ADC ID: P-64, NORAD ID: Z-64) is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 7.1 miles (11.4 km) north of Kirksville, Missouri. It was closed by the Air Force in 1968. Today the radar site is used by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) as a Joint Surveillance System (JSS) site.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Air Force units and assignments 2
    • Units 2.1
    • Assignments 2.2

History

Kirksville Air Force Station was one of twenty-eight stations built as part of the second segment of the Air Defense Command permanent radar network. Prompted by the start of the Korean War, on July 11, 1950, the Secretary of the Air Force asked the Secretary of Defense for approval to expedite construction of the permanent network. Receiving the Defense Secretary’s approval on July 21, the Air Force directed the Corps of Engineers to proceed with construction.

Activated at Sublette, MO on 1 May 1951 the 790th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron began operations with a pair of AN/FPS-10 radars at this site in April, and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes.

The station was renamed Kirksville Air Force Station (AFS) on 1 December 1953. One AN/FPS-10 height-finder radar was phased out in 1958 with the arrival of two AN/FPS-6A sets. The other AN/FPS-10 stayed in operation until 1963 and then was replaced with an AN/FPS-7.

During 1959 Kirksville AFS joined the Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) system, initially feeding data to DC-07 at Truax Field, Wisconsin. After joining, the squadron was redesignated as the 790th Radar Squadron (SAGE) on 1 November 1959. The radar squadron provided information 24/7 the SAGE Direction Center where it was analyzed to determine range, direction altitude speed and whether or not aircraft were friendly or hostile. On 31 July 1963, the site was redesignated as NORAD ID Z-64.

In addition to the main facility, Kirksville operated an AN/FPS-18 Gap Filler site:

  • Washington, IA (P-64A)

Kirksville began SAGE operations in 1959. The Air Force inactivated the 790th on 8 September 1968, closing the station on 30 September. After the Air Force inactivated, it was taken over by the Federal Aviation Administration as a Long Range Radar site and was equipped with ARSR-1 Radar. Now with an ARSR-3 radar, the site is now data-tied into the Joint Surveillance System (JSS).

The USAF facilities are now largely obliterated, a few old buildings overgrown with vegetation remain.

Air Force units and assignments

Units

  • Constituted as the 790th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Activated on 1 May 1951
Redesignated as 790th Radar Squadron (SAGE) on 1 November 1959
Discontinued and inactivated on 8 September 1968

Assignments

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.