World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Loboc, Bohol

Article Id: WHEBN0002090273
Reproduction Date:

Title: Loboc, Bohol  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Bohol, Black Madonna, Philippine tarsier, Alburquerque, Bohol, Baclayon, Bohol, Bilar, Bohol, Lila, Bohol, Loay, Bohol, Sevilla, Bohol, Sikatuna, Bohol
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Loboc, Bohol

Nickname(s): Music Capital of Bohol

Map of Bohol with Loboc highlighted
Location within the Philippines

Coordinates: 09°38′N 124°02′E / 9.633°N 124.033°E / 9.633; 124.033Coordinates: 09°38′N 124°02′E / 9.633°N 124.033°E / 9.633; 124.033

Country ]]
Region Central Visayas (Region VII)
Province ]]
District 3rd district of Bohol
Established 1602
Barangays 28
 • Mayor Leon A. Calipusan
 • Total 85.41 km2 (32.98 sq mi)
Population (2010)[2]
 • Total 16,312
 • Density 190/km2 (490/sq mi)
Time zone PST (UTC+8)
ZIP code
Dialing code
Income class 4th class[1]

Loboc is a fourth class municipality in the province of Bohol, Philippines. It is 24 kilometres (15 mi) east from Tagbilaran City, the provincial capital of Bohol. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 16,312 people.[2] It is the Music Capital of Bohol.

Loboc is known for its floating restaurants along the scenic and winding Loboc River. Tourists also come to see the tarsier, a small nocturnal animal with large eyes. It is one of the world's smallest primates. Unfortunately, the tarsiers here are kept in an inadequate cage, and better be observed in the Tarsier Sanctuary in Corella.

Portions of the St. Peter Parish Church Complex (specifically parts of what is now the Convento or Priests' Residence) are thought to be the oldest standing ecclesiastical structures in Bohol Province. The Loboc Children's Choir has won numerous competitions both local and international, most notably festival competition in Barcelona, Spain, entitled "Europe and its Songs", on September 17–21, 2003.


Loboc is politically subdivided into 28 barangays.

  • Agape
  • Alegria
  • Bagumbayan
  • Bahi-an
  • Bonbon Lower
  • Bonbon Upper
  • Buenavista
  • Bugho
  • Cabadiangan
  • Calunasan Norte
  • Calunasan Sur
  • Camayaan
  • Cambance
  • Candabong
  • Candasag
  • Canlasid
  • Gon-ob
  • Gotozon
  • Jimilian
  • Oy
  • Poblacion Sawang
  • Poblacion Ondol
  • Quinoguitan
  • Taytay
  • Tigbao
  • Ugpong
  • Valladolid
  • Villaflor


The early recorded history of Bohol point to the fact that the town of Loboc is the cradle of the Boholano soul. It was here during the first hundred years of the Spanish occupation of the Island that the distinct Boholano traits of deep religiosity, cohesiveness, dedication to traditional values and great love for music, was molded and given shape become what it is today.

Since pre-Hispanic times, Loboc has always been inland market village where produce from the sea were bartered for the agricultural goods of the upland regions. It is said to be the domain of Sigala, the other chief of Bohol, whose contemporary, Sikatuna, made the famous Blood Compact with Miguel López de Legazpi in 1565.

In 1596, the Jesuit Fr. Juan de Torres came to Loboc from Baclayon to found the second oldest Christian settlement in the Island. After the traumatic Moro raid on Baclayon on October 26, 1600, the Jesuit Missionaries decided to move the center of their missionary activities to the inland village of Loboc. By 1602, Loboc became a Parish, making it the oldest in the Island. To the Jesuits, Loboc was the Residencia Boholana, where their local superior resided. It remained so until the middle of the 18th century when the exigencies of the times forced to them to move once more to Baclayon.

Around 1604, the Jesuits established a Seminario-Collegio or boarding school for native boys. This school laid the foundation of the musical culture of the town. At present, the name Loboc is synonymous with musical acumen, a fact recognized by all the people of Bohol.

The church of Loboc is one of the most beautiful in the entire province. Its history makes it the most interesting. The first stone church was built in 1602. It was destroyed by fire in 1638 and rebuilt beside the site of the older one. This is the Loboc Church presently standing, a fine example of the Jesuit colonial architecture of the 18th century.

Upon the expulsion of the Jesuits in 1768, the Augustinian Recollects took over and they proceeded to renovate the unfinished structure. They were responsible for the free-standing bell tower, the arcade facade, the mortuary chapel, the heavy stone buttresses and the unique three-storey convento built into the fabric of the Jesuit-built church of the 17th century.

Two saintly figures lived and were buried in Loboc church: Fr. Alonso Humanes, S.J. whose gravesite became the object of pilgrimages after his death in 1633, and the remarkable native boy, Miguel Ayatumo, a student of the Seminario Colegio, who died in the odor of sanctity at the age of sixteen in 1609. Contemporary Jesuit records speak glowingly of this Aloysius Gonzaga of Bohol.

Loboc Church contains a lot of interesting treasures. Among these are the decorative stone carvings and friezes on the exterior walls; a relief of St. Ignatius in polychrome stucco intriguingly hidden behind the main altar, seven ancient retablos from both the Jesuit and Recollect periods; ceiling murals done in the 1920s by the Cebuano artists Rey Farncia and Canuto Avila, one depicting the miracle of Our Lady of Guadalupe, the town’s secondary patron, during the great flood of 1876; carved wooden cornices and decorative corbels shaped as gargoyles or mythical animals; and the unique three-story convent, perhaps the only one of its kind in the country.

Much of the early history of Bohol was made around the town and church of Loboc. It would not be an understatement to say that to know Loboc is to understand the entire drama of Bohol history. At present, Loboc church is deteriorating, ignored by tourists and visitors and continually threatened by the annual flood that has already robbed it of its ancient records and other priceless relics.

In 1942, entering by the Japanese troops occupied in Loboc, Bohol.

In 1945, entered from the liberation in Loboc, Bohol by the Philippine Commonwealth Army troops of the 81st & 83rd Infantry Division together with the Boholano guerrillas against the Japanese forces at the end in World War II.

(source: Museo de Loboc, St. Peter the Apostle Parish, Loboc, Bohol)

The Church was heavily damaged during a strong earthquake that hit Bohol on October 15, 2013.




Bohol portal

External links

  • Municipality of Loboc
  • Loboc
  • Philippine Standard Geographic Code
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.