World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Moody AFB

Template:Infobox military structure

Airfield information
IATA: VADICAO: KVADFAA LID: VAD
Summary
Elevation AMSL 233 ft / 71 m
Coordinates 30°58′04″N 083°11′34″W / 30.96778°N 83.19278°W / 30.96778; -83.19278Coordinates: 30°58′04″N 083°11′34″W / 30.96778°N 83.19278°W / 30.96778; -83.19278

Website www.moody.af.mil
Map
KVAD
KVAD
Location of Moody Air Force Base
Runways
Direction Length Surface
ft m
18L/36R 9,300 2,835 Concrete/Grooved
18R/36L 8,000 2,438 PEM/Grooved
Sources: official web site[1] and FAA[2]



Moody Air Force Base (IATA: VADICAO: KVADFAA LID: VAD) is a United States Air Force installation located in Lowndes County and Lanier County, about 9 miles (14 km) northeast of Valdosta, Georgia, United States.

The wing executes worldwide close air support, force protection, and combat search and rescue operations (CSAR) in support of humanitarian interests, United States national security and the global war on terrorism (GWOT).

Originally named Valdosta Airfield when it opened on 15 September 1941, the airfield was renamed Moody Army Airfield on 6 December 1941 in honor of Major George Putnam Moody (13 March 1908-5 May 1941), an early Air Force pioneer. Major Moody earned his military wings in 1930 and flew U.S. airmail as a member of the United States Army Air Corps in 1934. He was killed on 5 May 1941 while flight-testing a Beechcraft AT-10 Wichita advanced two-engine training aircraft at Wichita Army Airfield, Kansas. The AT-10 was later used extensively at Moody AAF during World War II.

Also located on Moody A.F.B. is Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University-Worldwide: Moody Campus.[3]

Units

23d Wing

Moody AFB is the home of the 23d Wing (23 WG) of the Air Combat Command (ACC). The mission of the 23d Wing is to organize, train and employ combat-ready A-10, HC-130P/N Combat King and HH-60 Pave Hawk aircraft and flight crews, as well as pararescuemen and force protection assets. It consists of approximately 6,100 military and civilian personnel, including geographically separated units (GSU) at Nellis AFB, Nevada and Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona.

The 23d Wing comprises the following operational groups:

The 23d Fighter Group - The Flying Tigers - relocated from Pope Field, North Carolina in 2007. The group became part of the 23d Wing on 18 August 2006 in a ceremony held at Pope. A/OA-10Cs of the 23d Fighter Group are tail coded "FT" due to their Flying Tiger World War II heritage. Assigned squadrons are:
74th Fighter Squadron
75th Fighter Squadron
23d Operations Support Squadron
The 347th Rescue Group directs flying and readiness of one of two U.S. Air Force active duty Rescue Groups dedicated to Combat Search and Rescue (CSAR). Members assigned to the 347 RQG are responsible for training/readiness of 1,100 personnel, including a pararescue squadron, two flying squadrons (HC-130 and HH-60) and an operations support squadron. The group also deploys worldwide in support of National Command Authority taskings. Assigned squadrons are:
38th Rescue Squadron
41st Rescue Squadron
71st Rescue Squadron
347th Operations Support Squadron
The 563d Rescue Group directs flying operations as one of two rescue groups in the active duty Air Force dedicated to Combat Search and Rescue (CSAR). As a GSU of its parent wing, the 563 RQG is responsible for both training and readiness and aircraft maintenance of one HC-130 squadron and two HH-60 squadrons, as well as the training and readiness of two pararescue squadrons, two maintenance squadrons, and an operations support squadron operating from two geographically separated operating locations.
48th Rescue Squadron (Davis-Monthan AFB)
55th Rescue Squadron (Davis-Monthan AFB)
79th Rescue Squadron (Davis-Monthan AFB)
563d Operations Support Squadron (Davis-Monthan AFB)
58th Rescue Squadron (Nellis AFB)
66th Rescue Squadron (Nellis AFB)

93d Air Ground Operations Wing

The 93d Air Ground Operations Wing (93d AGOW) is a non-flying active support wing activated on 25 January 2008. The 93d's mission is to manage and providing combat-ready tactical air control party personnel, battlefield weather and force protection assets for joint forces commanders.

  • The 820th Base Defense Group is a Force Protection unit which provides Air Force Expeditionary Groups self-sustaining Force Protection capability for initial U.S. "first-in" forces to any operating location in support of the Air Force Global Engagement mission. The Group consists of four squadrons – the 822d Base Defense Squadron, which activated in September 2000, 823th BDS, which activated in January 2001, the 824th BDS which activated in November 2001 and the 820th Combat Operations Squadron, which activated in March 2009.
  • The 1st Air Support Operations Group (1st ASOG), 3d Air Support Operations Group (3d ASOG) and 18th Air Support Operations Group (18th ASOG) are combat support units located at Joint Base Lewis-MCChord, Washington, Fort Hood, Texas and Pope Field, North Carolina respectively (supporting I Corp, III Corp and XVIII Airborne Corp respectively). Each ASOG provides Tactical Command and Control of air power assets to the Joint Forces Air Component Commander and Joint Forces Land Component Commander for combat operations.

History



The base had its beginning in 1940 when a group of concerned Valdosta and Lowndes County citizens began searching for a way to assist the expanding defense program. A committee was formed to obtain a military airfield for their community. In October 1940, the committee sent a letter to Maxwell AAF inviting the Air Corps to consider the Valdosta area. When engineers arrived, they rejected the existing Valdosta Municipal Airport because of excessive grading costs and began looking for another site. The Air Corps found an acceptable site 11.5 miles NNE of Valdosta near the small settlement of Bemis. The site was located on the Lakeland Flatwoods Project, a 9,300 acres (38 km2) tract of sub-marginal land, not primarily suited for cultivation. The United States Department of Agriculture, which owned the land, was experimenting at that time with forest grazing at the project. The Air Corps approved to locate the base on the tract in March 1941. Two months later, on 14 May, the Department of Agriculture transferred ownership of the property to the War Department.

Construction got underway on 28 July 1941 for a twin-engine advanced training base with accommodations for 4,100 men. The $3.4 million project's 160 buildings included 72 barracks and 16 supply rooms. Also provided in the original contract were four 5,000-foot runways, two asphalt and two concrete, plus a spur of the Georgia and Florida Railroad.

World War II

Moody Army Airfield was activated on 26 June 1941. It was used by the Army Air Forces Flying Training Command, Southeast Training Center, with the 29th Flying Training Wing for primary (phase 1) flight training, in which flight cadets were taught basic flight using two-seater training aircraft.

Under the Southeast Training Center, Moody AAF controlled several auxiliary airfields



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.