World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Mosher, Baltimore

Article Id: WHEBN0017078717
Reproduction Date:

Title: Mosher, Baltimore  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of Baltimore neighborhoods, Mosher
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Mosher, Baltimore

Mosher is a neighborhood in the western part of Baltimore, Maryland. Its boundaries are the north side of Edmondson Avenue, the west side of Braddish Avenue, the east side of Poplar Grove, and the south side of Riggs Avenue. The neighborhood lies in the vicinity of Walbrook Junction, Coppin State University, Sandtown-Winchester, and Edmondson Village. Mosher is one of several neighborhoods that resisted the development of the "Road to Nowhere", now designated as US 40, along the Franklin Avenue corridor. The area was historically segregated, and largely occupied by European Americans, but transitioned during the early 1950s to become a predominantly African American area.

One of the most significant buildings remaining the early development of Mosher is the Hebrew Orphan Asylum. This 1876 Richardsonian Romanesque building became the West Baltimore General Hospital in 1923, then in 1945 became the Lutheran Hospital of Maryland. The hospital closed in 1989 and the building has been owned by Coppin State University since 2003.

The population neighborhood is predominantly African American and significantly low-income. According to 2000 Census data, 99% of Mosher households identify as African-American, .5% identifying as Asian, and .2% each identifying as white, American Indian and Alaska Native, or two or more races. The median household income was $24,667. Resident organizations in Mosher include the La Burt Improvement Association, Lafayette Community Association, Mosher Ridge Improvement Association, and Nehemiah House Community Association.

See also

Baltimore neighborhoods

External links

  • Mosher Demographic Profile 2000, Baltimore Neighborhood Indicators Alliance

Coordinates: 39°17′51″N 76°39′45.5″W / 39.29750°N 76.662639°W / 39.29750; -76.662639

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.