World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Museo delle anime del Purgatorio

Article Id: WHEBN0041894340
Reproduction Date:

Title: Museo delle anime del Purgatorio  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Pio Cristiano Museum, Pigorini National Museum of Prehistory and Ethnography, Galleria Comunale d'Arte Moderna, Rome, Museum of the Ara Pacis, Collection of Modern Religious Art, Vatican Museums
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Museo delle anime del Purgatorio

Museum of the Souls of Purgatory
Museo delle Anime del Purgatorio
Established after 1917
Location Rome, 12 Lungotevere Prati
Type religious
Website http://www.croponline.org/animepurgatorioroma.htm

The Museo delle Anime del Purgatorio (Italian for Museum of the Souls of Purgatory) is a museum of Rome (Italy), in 12 Lungotevere Prati, within the vestry of the Chiesa del Sacro Cuore del Suffragio.

History

In 1897 a fire burned a chapel of the Chiesa del Sacro Cuore del Suffragio. The priest Victor Jouët saw on the wall behind the altar the image of a human face bearing a sad and melancholy expression, impressed by the flames. He believed that the soul of a deceased man, condemned to Purgatory, had tried to get in contact with alive people.

This specific occurrence brought to the foundation of the museum. Victor Jouët decided to find other documents and statements about similar facts. The research proved to be more difficult than expected, nevertheless he could find out many materials, showing the following: the deceased people, compelled to pass a period in the afterlife reign of Purgatory in order to purify from their sins, tried to catch the attention of the alive people so as to ask them prayers and suffrage masses and so facilitating their transition to Paradise.

Collection

The collection of the museum is gathered into a single room of the vestry in the Chiesa del Sacro Cuore del Suffragio.

A single showcase contains about ten documents and photos, including:

  • the imprint of three fingers left in 1871 on the prayers book of Maria Zaganti by deceaded Palmira Rastelli;
  • the photograph of an imprint impressed by deceased mrs Leleux on the sleeve of his son Giuseppe during its appearance in 1789 in Wodecq (Belgium);
  • the fire imprint left by a finger of Sister Maria di San Luigi Gonzaga, appeared to Sister Maria del Sacro Cuore in 1894;
  • the imprint on a book of Marguerite Demmerlé, in the Parish of Ellinghen, left by her mother-in-law in 1815, 30 years after her death.

Bibliography


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.