World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Northeim (district)

Article Id: WHEBN0000156857
Reproduction Date:

Title: Northeim (district)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Göttingen (district), Osterode (district), Hildesheim (district), Lower Saxony, Höxter (district)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Northeim (district)

Northeim is a district in Lower Saxony, Germany. It is bounded by (from the northwest and clockwise) the districts of Holzminden, Hildesheim, Goslar, Osterode and Göttingen, and the state of Hesse (district of Kassel).

History

In medieval times the area had been part of the Duchy of Brunswick-Lüneburg. Later the majority of it belonged to Hanover and then Prussia. In 1885 the Prussian government created districts in the newly acquired provinces. In 1884 the districts of Einbeck, Northeim, and Uslar were established. Northeim and Uslar were merged in 1932, and they were again merged with Einbeck in 1974. The district's area was further enlarged in 1977, when some municipalities of neighbouring districts (Gandersheim and Osterode am Harz) joined the Northeim district.

Geography

The district is located in the Weserbergland mountains. The Weser forms the western border of the district. Another river, the Leine, runs through the district from south to north. It is joined by the River Rhume which flows through the town of Northeim and the River Ilme which flows through the town of Einbeck.

Coat of arms

The coat of arms displays two identical lions in blue and yellow, both representing the former two districts of Northeim and Uslar. The lion itself represents the duchy of Brunswick-Lüneburg.

Towns and municipalities

Towns Municipalities
  1. Bad Gandersheim
  2. Dassel
  3. Einbeck
  4. Hardegsen
  5. Moringen
  6. Northeim
  7. Uslar
  1. Bodenfelde
  2. Kalefeld
  3. Katlenburg-Lindau
  4. Nörten-Hardenberg

See also

References

External links

Media related to Landkreis Northeim at Wikimedia Commons

  • Official website (German)

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.