World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

O'More College of Design

O’More College of Design is a non profit small private college in Franklin, Tennessee, United States.

It was founded as O'More School of Interior Architecture and Design in 1970, located in the historic district of Franklin. It is a non-traditional, accredited college awarding the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Fashion Design, Fashion Merchandising, Graphic Design, Interactive Design, and Interior Design. It has an enrollment of about 200, with a male to female ratio of 1 to 9.

The college is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). The Interior Design Department is CIDA accredited (formerly FIDER).

History

The Abbey Leix Mansion, also known as the Winstead House, serves as the administration building for the O'More College of Design and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The college was founded in 1970 by Eloise Pitts O'More. It is patterned after Le College Feminin in Paris, France, where Pitts studied in the late 1920s, and was aimed at women, who were traditionally not involved in the design fields. O'More began the college with nine students in her home. Pitts passed in 2002.

The Abbey Leix Mansion (ca. 1866), an Italianate-style home which serves as the College's administration building, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The mansion is named after the ancestral property in Ireland belonging to the O'More family, and was the first residential structure built in the area after the Civil War in 1867. The mansion's cellar is left over from a previous structure that burned during the war. During the second Battle of Franklin, the Carnton Plantation was used as a hospital while the cellar of the original structure was used as a morgue. The grounds surrounding the mansion were also used for temporary placement of the dead.

External links

  • College website
  • NCIDQ


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.