World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Operation Paraquet

Article Id: WHEBN0002892326
Reproduction Date:

Title: Operation Paraquet  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Operation Mikado, Argentine surrender in the Falklands War, Battle of Mount Harriet, Battle of Two Sisters, Battle of Wireless Ridge
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Operation Paraquet

Operation Paraquet
Part of the Falklands War
Date 25 April 1982
Location South Georgia
Result British victory
 United Kingdom  Argentina
Commanders and leaders
John Fieldhouse Luis Lagos
Casualties and losses
2 helicopters crashed 1 killed
1 submarine lost
HMS Antrim

Operation Paraquet was the Falklands War.

The official name "Paraquet" is an alternative spelling of Parakeet, but the operation is perhaps more widely known as Operation Paraquat, an unofficial name adopted by troops in the South Atlantic who feared the operation would prove as lethal to them as the weedkiller Paraquat. This view prompted the expression "Kill Paraquat before it kills us."

The operation, a subsidiary of the main Operation Corporate (recapture of the Falkland Islands from Argentina) was successful, leading to the island being restored to British control on 25 April 1982.


The operation was ordered by Admiral Fieldhouse on 12 April 1982. It was to involve Mountain Troop from D Squadron

  • Naval-History.Net - "Battle Atlas of the Falklands War 1982" by Gordon Smith
  • The RAF - "The Falkland Islands - A history of the 1982 conflict"
  • "The Official History of the Falklands Campaign"
  • "Sea Control 74: Falklands Series 5 – South Georgia OPS" (Podcast). Center for International Maritime Security. 13 April 2015. 

External links

  1. ^
  2. ^
  3. ^ a b c "Sink the Belgrano", Mike Rossiter, 2007, Transworld, London, pp 189-233
  4. ^ Méndez, Juan E. (1991). Truth and partial justice in Argentina: an update. Human Rights Watch, p. 32. ISBN 0-929692-91-8
  5. ^ Marine killed Argentinian in Falklands war blunder
  6. ^ Félix Artuso's grave
  7. ^
  8. ^ "Remarks on the recapture of South Georgia", Margaret Thatcher Foundation
  9. ^ Buxton, Cindy; Annie Price (1983). Survival South Atlantic. London :: Granada,. pp. xiii,237p.,[64]p. of plates : ill(some col.), maps,col.ports. ; 26cm.  


Wildlife film maker Cindy Buxton and her assistant Annie Price, who had been filming in an isolated part of the island before the invasion, were evacuated by a helicopter from HMS Endurance on 30 April.[9]

Be pleased to inform Her Majesty that the White Ensign flies alongside the Union Jack in South Georgia. God save the Queen.[8]

A message that was widely publicised in Britain was made by the Task Group Commander, Captain Brian Young, after the surrender at Grytviken:[7]

An Argentine prisoner of war, Navy Petty Officer Felix Artuso, a crewman of the Santa Fe, was mistakenly shot dead on 26 April after a British marine thought he was sabotaging the submarine. He is buried at Grytviken Cemetery.[5][6]

There followed an immediate assault by an improvised group of Special Forces and Royal Marines, with two Royal Navy vessels (Antrim and Plymouth) conducting a naval bombardment demonstration on the low hills opposite Grytviken. The garrison at Grytviken and the crew of the disabled Santa Fe surrendered to M Company, 42 Commando, Royal Marines, after fifteen minutes at 17.15 GMT, although the garrison at Leith Harbour, under the command of Lieutenant Commander Alfredo Astiz, surrendered the following day.[3] Sweden and France requested Astiz's extradition from the British authorities after learning about his capture, but his captors rejected the petition.[4]

On 9 April the submarine Grytviken on 24 April. However, on 25 April the Santa Fe was intercepted while sailing away and disabled by depth charges from Antrim's Wessex helicopter and subsequent attacks by task force Wasp and Lynx helicopters, which fired at least six AS-12 missiles on the submarine. The Santa Fe was forced to limp back to Grytviken.

The operation was originally supposed to involve both SAS and Antrim, but the plan had to be changed when the two Wessex helicopters transporting the SAS troops from an ambitious location on the northeast coast crashed in bad weather on Fortuna Glacier; the troops and aircrew were rescued by Antrim's Wessex helicopter, the last remaining to the expedition.[3]


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.