World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Remedios de Escalada

Article Id: WHEBN0006147532
Reproduction Date:

Title: Remedios de Escalada  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Avellaneda, Lanús Partido, National University of Lanús, Chivilcoy, Olavarría
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Remedios de Escalada

Remedios de Escalada
Remedios de Escalada is located in Greater Buenos Aires
Remedios de Escalada
Remedios de Escalada
Location in Greater Buenos Aires
Coordinates:
Province Buenos Aires
Partido Lanús
Elevation 11 m (36 ft)
Population (2001 census [INDEC])
 • Total 81,465
 • Density 8,807/km2 (22,810/sq mi)
CPA Base B 1826
Area code(s) +54 11
For the town in Tres de Febrero Partido see Remedios de Escalada; for the city's namesake, see María de los Remedios de Escalada.

Remedios de Escalada de San Martín is a city located in Buenos Aires Province, Argentina, within Lanús Partido, Gran Buenos Aires. It covers an area of 9,95 km² and the population was 81,465 in 2001; the demonym for its inhabitants is "escaladense."

History

The Roca Line coach yard, part of installations opened in 1890.

The town was first established by Agustín Eguren as Edén Argentino ("Argentine Eden"), a bedroom community, in 1873. Its population remained in the few hundreds until, in 1890, the Buenos Aires Great Southern Railway inaugurated a rail yard in the adjoining Villa Galíndez, to the east; La Fraternidad, one of Argentina's first and oldest trade unions, was founded by workers at the site in 1887. Further such installations opened by Eliseo Ramírez and the Ramírez de Lafuente family in 1901 made the area a prime rail operations hub, and the Great Southern inaugurated its first commuter station there in 1902.

The Club Atlético Talleres de Remedios de Escalada, the town's first football club, was established in 1906, and plays in the lower leagues of Argentine football. The town became home to a sizable community of Italian Argentines in the subsequent years, and prominent among these was Luis Máspero, who operated one of the country's largest hat factories, and Víctor Marangoni, owner of an important metalworks establishment; the Italian Mutual Insurance and Assistance Company was established here in 1913.

A number of important Roman Catholic Parish of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios ("Our Lady of Remedies") was consecrated in 1924, and in 1933, Villa Galíndez and the Argentine Eden were incorporated as Remedios de Escalada (in honor of María de los Remedios de Escalada, wife of the leader of the Argentine War of Independence, General José de San Martín).

Remedios de Escalada was formally declared a city by the Buenos Aires Province Legislature in 1974. The city later suffered from the effects of a failed plan in during the 1976-83 dictatorship to expand the General Paz Freeway from the Villa Riachuelo ward in Buenos Aires to the city of Avellaneda; never completed, the demolitions resulting from the project left an extensive swath along the city of empty lots which, in many cases, were not adequately reurbanized. The National University of Lanús, one of the smaller national universities, was established here in 1995.

External links

  • (Spanish) Remedios de Escalada website
  • (Spanish) website
  • (Spanish) Club Atlético Talleres website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.