World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Renfrew North

 

Renfrew North

Renfrew North (also known as Renfrew North—Nipissing East) was a federal electoral district represented in the Canadian House of Commons from 1867 to 1979. It was located in the province of Ontario. It was created by the British North America Act of 1867. The riding existed until 1972, when the name was changed to "Renfrew North—Nipissing East".

The North Riding of Renfrew initially consisted of the Townships of Ross, Bromley, Westmeath, Stafford, Pembroke, Wilberforce, Alice, Petawawa, Buchanan, South Algona, North Algona, Fraser, McKay, Wylie, Rolph, Head, Maria, Clara, Haggerty, Sherwood, Burns, Richards, and any other surveyed Townships lying northwesterly of the said North Riding.

In 1892, "North Renfrew" was redefined to consist of the town of Pembroke, that part of the village of Eganville north of the River Bonnechère, and the townships of Ross, Bromley, Westmeath, Stafford, Pembroke, Wilberforce, Alice, Petawawa, Buchanan, South Algona, North Algona, Fraser, McKay, Wylie and Rolph.

In 1903, it was redefined to consist of the townships of Algona North, Algona South, Alice, Bromley, Buchanan, Fraser, McKay, Pembroke, Petawawa, Rolph, Ross, Stafford, Westmeath, Wilberforce and Wylie, the town of Pembroke, the village of Cobden, and the part of the village of Eganville lying within the township of Wilberforce.

In 1924, "Renfrew North" was defined to consist of that part of the county of Renfrew lying north and east and including the townships of Ross, Bromley, Wilberforce, Algona (North and South), and Fraser, and including the part of the territorial district of Nipissing lying east of and including the townships of Cameron, Deacon, Anglin, Dickson, Preston, and Airy.

It was redefined several times following that, but generally included most of Renfrew County and the eastern part of Nipissing.

The electoral district was abolished in 1976 when it was redistributed between Nipissing, Parry Sound—Muskoka and [[Renfrew—Nipissing—Pembroke

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.