World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Rochester Air Force Station

Article Id: WHEBN0030525118
Reproduction Date:

Title: Rochester Air Force Station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Willow Run Air Force Station, Bendix AN/FPS-14 Radar, Bendix AN/FPS-18 Radar, MIT AN/CPS-4 Radar, 4722d Air Defense Group
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Rochester Air Force Station

Rochester Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
Rochester AFS is located in Minnesota
Rochester AFS
Rochester AFS
Location of Rochester AFS, Minnesota
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Site history
Built 1955
In use 1955-1957
Garrison information
Garrison 808th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron

Rochester Air Force Station (ADC ID: M-101) is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 7.3 miles (11.7 km) east-northeast of Rochester, Minnesota. It was closed in 1957.

History

Rochester Air Force Station was established as part of the planned deployment by Air Defense Command of forty-four Mobile radar stations across the United States to support the permanent Radar network established during the Cold War for air defense of the United States. This deployment had been projected to be operational by mid-1952. Funding, constant site changes, construction, and equipment delivery delayed deployment.

The 808th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron was moved to Rochester on 1 September 1955 by the 31st Air Division, and it achieved operational status in 1956 with an AN/TPS-1D radar, and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes.

Due to budget cuts, it was removed from service and inactivated on 8 September 1957.

The radar station was excessed by the Air Force to GSA in July 1958, which conveyed the property in 1959 to the Minnesota State Dept of Health, Education, and Welfare. It was then conveyed to Penz Farms, Inc in the late 1960s or early 1970s. The facility consists of eight major buildings one mess hall, a large garage or shop, and two buildings possibly used for storage. Lesser buildings consist of a pump house for water supply and a small building, possibly used for sewer outfall monitoring. The large, earth-mounded water supply reservoir is still in use.

Penz Farms, uses the site, buildings, and water supply, with exception of the sewer-monitoring building, which was not being used. Two of the 'old' barracks had been remodeled and are currently rental units, with the other two barracks used for farm and related activity storage, as is the mess hall and the other two storage buildings. The largest building on the complex is being used as a shop/garage.

The site is generally cluttered with new, used, and 'junked' farm and other equipment.

Air Force units and assignments

Units

  • Constituted as the 808th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Activated at Snelling AFS, Minnesota on 20 June 1953 (not manned or equipped)
Moved to Rochester AFS on 1 September 1955
Inactivated on 8 September 1957

Assignments

  • 31st Air Division, 1 September 1955 – 9 September 1957

See also

  • [[List
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.