World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Rockport Air Force Station

Article Id: WHEBN0030456350
Reproduction Date:

Title: Rockport Air Force Station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Experimental SAGE Subsector, Willow Run Air Force Station, Bendix AN/FPS-14 Radar, Bendix AN/FPS-18 Radar, MIT AN/CPS-4 Radar
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Rockport Air Force Station

Rockport Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
Rockport AFS is located in Texas
Rockport AFS
Rockport AFS
Location of Rockport AFS, Texas
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Site history
Built 1959
In use 1959-1963
Garrison information
Garrison 813th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Emblem of the 813th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron

Rockport Air Force Station (ADC ID: TM-191) is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 4.1 miles (6.6 km) southwest of Lamar, Texas. It was closed in 1963.

History

Rockport Air Force Station came into existence as part of Phase III of the Air Defense Command Mobile Radar program. On October 20, 1953 ADC requested a third phase of twenty-five radar sites be constructed.

The 813th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron was assigned on 1 July 1958. It operated an AN/FPS-3 search radar and an AN/FPS-6 height-finder radar at the site. The station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes.

In addition to the main facility, Rockport operated three AN/FPS-18 Gap Filler sites:

  • Riviera, TX (TM-191A):
  • Palacios, TX (TM-191B):
  • Delmita, TX (TM-191C):

The Air Force inactivated Rockport AFS on 1 August 1963 due to budgetary constraints. Today, not much of the station remains. A few buildings, some disconnected streets in poor repair and most of the area is overgrown grass adjacent to the Aransas County Airport is all that remains. The nearby Air Force housing area remains intact, long-ago sold off and being used as single-family housing.

Air Force units and assignments

Units

  • Constituted as the 813th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Activated on 18 December 1956 at Oklahoma City AFS, OK (not equipped or manned)
Moved to Rockport AFS on assigned 1 July 1958
Discontinued and inactivated on 1 August 1963

Assignments

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.