World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Saint Anthony Air Station

Article Id: WHEBN0030818816
Reproduction Date:

Title: Saint Anthony Air Station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 37th Air Division, Willow Run Air Force Station, Bendix AN/FPS-14 Radar, Bendix AN/FPS-18 Radar, MIT AN/CPS-4 Radar
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Saint Anthony Air Station

Saint Anthony Air Station
Part of Pinetree Line
Newfoundland, Canada
Emblem of the 921st Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Type Radar Station
Code N-26
Site information
Controlled by Northeast Air Command
Aerospace Defense Command
Site history
Built 1953
In use 1953-1968
Built by United States Air Force
Saint Anthony AS is located in Newfoundland and Labrador
Saint Anthony AS
Saint Anthony AS
Location of Saint Anthony AS

Saint Anthony Air Station (ADC ID: N-26) is a closed General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 292.5 miles (470.7 km) north-northwest of St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.[1] It was closed in 1968.


The site was established in 1953 as a General Surveillance Radar station, funded by the United States Air Force, one of the many that would make up the Pinetree Line of Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) radar sites.

It was used initially by the Northeast Air Command 921st Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron, which was activated. It was equipped with the following radars:

As a GCI base, the 921st's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes. These interceptors were assigned to the 64th Air Division at Goose AFB, Labrador.

The station was reassigned to the USAF Air Defense Command on 1 April 1957, and was given designation "N-26". In 1963, the site was connected to the Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) Direction Center (DC-31) at Goose AFB.[2]

In addition to the main facility, Saint Anthony operated an AN/FPS-14 manned Gap Filler site:

N-26B was built in 1957 about 95 miles south of the main station and was closed in 1961. The town of La Scie, located about 3 miles to the southwest provided living facilities to Detachment 2.

The 921st AC&WS squadron was inactivated on 18 June 1968, and Saint Anthony AS was closed on 30 June. Today the site remains intact, probably due to its isolated location. It apparently has been unused and abandoned since its closure, some have been reduced to concrete foundations only.
US Air Force radar station - St Anthony, Newfoundland July 1961

USAF units and assignments


  • 921st Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron, Activated at Grenier AFB, New Hampshire, 26 May 1953
Transferred to Saint Anthony Air Station, Northeast Air Command, 1 October 1953
Reassigned to Air Defense Command, 1 April 1957
Discontinued 18 June 1968


See also


 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  1. ^
  2. ^ Information for St. Anthony AS, NL
  • A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization 1946 - 1980, by Lloyd H. Cornett and Mildred W. Johnson, Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado
  • Winkler, David F. (1997), Searching the skies: the legacy of the United States Cold War defense radar program. Prepared for United States Air Force Headquarters Air Combat Command.

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.