World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

San Nicola in Carcere

Article Id: WHEBN0008070509
Reproduction Date:

Title: San Nicola in Carcere  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Pope Alexander VI, Pope Boniface VIII, Pope Clement XIII, Pope Nicholas III, Spes, List of religious leaders in 1220, Forum Holitorium, Prophecy of the Popes, Orazio Gentileschi, Zenon Grocholewski
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

San Nicola in Carcere


San Nicola in Carcere (Italian, "St Nicholas in prison") is a titular church in Rome near the Forum Boarium in rione Ripa. It is one of the traditional stational churches of Lent.

History

The first church on the site was probably built in the 6th century, and a 10th-century inscription may be seen on a fluted column next to the entrance, but the first definite dedication is from a plaque on the church dating to 1128.

It was constructed in and from the ruins of the Forum Holitorium and its temples, along with a jail (carcer) which a tradition (supported by Pliny's history of Rome) states was sited in the temples' ruins. However, the in Carcere (in jail) part of the name of the church was only changed to "in Carcere Tulliano" in the 14th century, owing to an erroneous identification. The prison was really that of Byzantine times (LPD i.515, n13; ii.295, n12).

Spolia from all these ancient remains is still apparent in the church's construction, most particularly three columns from the Temple of Juno Sospita which are incorporated into both the 10th century and 1599 north facades of the church.

The dedication to St Nicholas was made by the Greek population in the area. In the 11th century, it was known as the church of Petrus Leonis, referring to the converted Jewish family who rebuilt the nearby Theatre of Marcellus as a fortress.

The church was rebuilt in 1599, with a new facade by Giacomo della Porta (though the medieval campanile - originally a fortified tower, then adapted to a bell tower after being abandoned - was not altered). Stairs under the altar lead to the crypt and to the base of the former Roman temples.

Present

The church is known for celebrations to the devotion of the Madonna; one is the Italian Our Lady of Pompeii (whose feast is celebrated here) and the other is the Mexican Our Lady of Guadalupe (a reproduction of whose miraculous painting, sent here from Mexico in 1773, is shown). Beneath the high altar is also an ancient basalt bath tub containing martyrs' relics.

Nearby structures

External links

  • Spherical panorama of the church interior
  • Underground ruins

Coordinates: 41°53′28″N 12°28′48″E / 41.89111°N 12.48000°E / 41.89111; 12.48000

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.