World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Somain, Nord

Article Id: WHEBN0015902396
Reproduction Date:

Title: Somain, Nord  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Aniche, Eberhard of Friuli, Reumont, La Groise, Mazinghien
Collection: Communes of Nord (French Department)
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Somain, Nord

Coat of arms of Somain
Coat of arms
Somain is located in France
Country France
Region Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Department Nord
Arrondissement Douai
Canton Marchiennes
Intercommunality Cœur d'Ostrevent
 • Mayor (1977–2014) Jean-Claude Quennesson
Area1 12.32 km2 (4.76 sq mi)
Population (1999)2 12,013
 • Density 980/km2 (2,500/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 59574 / 59490
Elevation 16–48 m (52–157 ft)
(avg. 32 m or 105 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Somain is a commune in the Nord department in northern France. The former commune of Villers-Campeau was absorbed by Somain in 1947. The town was known for its extensive mining industry.


  • Mining 1
  • Transport 2
  • Politics 3
  • Education 4
    • Primary Schools 4.1
    • Colleges 4.2
    • Lycées 4.3
  • See also 5
  • Twin towns 6
  • Famous people from Somain 7
  • References 8


Most nearby mines were operated by either the Aniche Mining Company or the Anzin Mining Company.

The Renaissance mine was the first mine. It was opened in the south of the town in 1839. It was soon followed by the St Louis mine, which opened in 1843, and was located a few hundred yards south of the Renaissance mine. The Renaissance mine closed in 1890, and the St Louis mine in 1925.

In 1856, the Anzin Mining Company opened the Casimir Périer mine in the South East of the town, near Fenain and Abscon. Coal extraction ceased at the Casimir Périer mine in 1935, but the mine remained open to allow access to another local pit, the Saint Mark mine.

The Aniche mining company opened the De Sessavalle mine in 1902. The mine closed in 1970.

Saint Louis Mine around 1910.
Fénelon mine around 1900.
Brickyard owned by the Aniche Mining Company around 1930.


Somain was previously served by the following rail lines: Somain - Péruwelz, Aubigny-au-Bac - Somain, Somain - Halluin via Orchies, Somain - Douai (Nord), and Somain - Douai (Sud).


Since 1912, the town has had the following mayors:

  • 1912-1945: Victor Bachelet
  • 1945-1947: Eugène Dutouquet
  • 1947-1952: Victor Bachelet
  • 1952-1964: Achille Fleury
  • 1964-1977: Marc Demilly
  • 1977–present: Jean-Claude Quennesson (incumbent)


Primary Schools

There are various primary schools in Somain:

  • École primaire Louis-Aragon, located in De Sessevalle.
  • École primaire Marie-Curie, located in the town center.
  • École primaire Désiré-Chevalier, located in Villers-Campeau.
  • École primaire Henri-Barbusse, located near the Cheminots estate.
  • École primaire Sainte-Anne (private school).


Somain has three colleges:

  • Collège Victor-Hugo, located in the town center.
  • Collège Louis-Pasteur, located near the Cheminots estate.
  • Collège Sainte-Anne, a private college located near the city center.

There are plans to renovate Collège Victor-Hugo to meet HQE standards.


There are two lycées in Somain:

  • Lycée général et technologique Louis-Pasteur, located near the Cheminots estate.
  • Lycée Hélène-Boucher, a private college located in De Sessevalle.

See also

Twin towns

Famous people from Somain


  • INSEE commune file

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.