World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

St. Andrew's Church, Langar

Coordinates: 52°54′17″N 00°55′44″W / 52.90472°N 0.92889°W / 52.90472; -0.92889

St. Andrew's Church,
Langar-cum-Barnstone
Denomination Church of England
Churchmanship Broad Church
Website Dedication St. Andrew
Administration
Parish Langar, Nottinghamshire
Diocese Southwell and Nottingham
Province York
Clergy
Rector Revd Bronwen Gamble
Anglicanism portal

St. Andrew's Church, Langar-cum-Barnstone is a parish church in the Church of England in Langar, Nottinghamshire.

The church is Grade I listed by the Department for Culture, Media & Sport as a building of outstanding architectural or historic interest.

History

The church of St Andrew's is often called the 'Cathedral of the Vale' due to its large size for such a small village. This may be in part due to its importance as a place of pilgrimage in Saxon times.

The church was heavily restored by Thomas Butler in 1860.

The North Transept contains monuments to the Chaworth family of nearby Wiverton Hall. In the South Transept is a magnificent monument to Thomas, Lord Scrope and his wife, Philadelphia, with their son, Emanuel, kneeling at their feet. This transept also contains the blocked-up entrance to the Howe tomb with a tablet to the memory of Admiral Howe, second daughter Mary Juliana Howe and Mary, Countess Howe.

Current parish status

St. Andrew's Church, Langar-cum-Barnstone is in the Wiverton group of parishes which includes:

Memorials

Organ

The organ came from St. John's Church, Codnor, and arrived in 1906. It is by Lloyd of Nottingham. The specification of the organ can be found on the National Pipe Organ Register.

Source

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.