World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Sylvan Grove, Pennsylvania

Article Id: WHEBN0023907150
Reproduction Date:

Title: Sylvan Grove, Pennsylvania  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Clearfield County, Pennsylvania, Cooper Township, Clearfield County, Pennsylvania, List of places in Pennsylvania: Sk–Sy, List of crossings of the Susquehanna River
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Sylvan Grove, Pennsylvania

Sylvan Grove, Pennsylvania
Unincorporated community
Sylvan Grove, Pennsylvania
Sylvan Grove, Pennsylvania

Coordinates: 41°01′46″N 78°09′16″W / 41.02944°N 78.15444°W / 41.02944; -78.15444

Country United States
State Pennsylvania
County Clearfield
Time zone Eastern (EST)
 • Summer (DST) EDT (UTC)

Sylvan Grove is an unincorporated community in Cooper Township in Clearfield County, Pennsylvania, United States. It appears on the Frenchville U.S. Geological Survey Map.[1] It is a small farming community originally called Hickory Bottom. Central to the history of Sylvan Grove is the Sylvan Grove Church and Cemetery.

History

Sylvan Grove Church and Cemetery

Located north of Kylertown on Church Hill Road off of State Route 1011, Sylvan Grove Church and Cemetery remains today as a testament of the faith of the earliest settlers in this area. The church, originally constructed in 1870 for $2010.00, was built on land owned by John and Wealthy Johnson Hoover, and deeded to the Trustees of the Methodist-Episcopal Church. At that time the Trustees were Robert Daugherty, George Hess, David Aldrich, Samuel Hoover, and John Hoover. This building was dedicated on June 25, 1871.[2]

This was actually the second church built in this area. The first church was a log building made in 1850, making it the very first church in what was to become Cooper Township. It was across the road from where the current church stands today. The log building church was constructed on land purchased by two of the Hoover brothers, Samuel and John, from Edward and David Gratz. The Hoover brothers then deeded an acre of this land as the building site to the Morris Township School District and the log building was used for both school and church purposes. The founding fathers of the original log church were all four of the Hoover brothers (John and Samuel, George and Jerimiah) as well as Robert Daugherty and George Hess.[2]

References

Coordinates: 41°01′48″N 78°09′14″W / 41.03°N 78.154°W / 41.03; -78.154

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.