World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USAAF Contract Flying School Airfields

Article Id: WHEBN0026464628
Reproduction Date:

Title: USAAF Contract Flying School Airfields  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Army Air Forces Training Command
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USAAF Contract Flying School Airfields

USAAF Contract Flying Schools
Part of Army Air Forces Flying Training Command
Type Contract Flying School
Site information
Controlled by United States Army Air Forces
Site history
In use 1939-1945
Garrison information
Garrison Army Air Force Training Command

During World War II civilian flying schools, under government contract, provided a considerable part of the flying training effort undertaken by the United States Army Air Forces. To the flying cadets, the contract flying schools (commonly referred to as CFS's) were just another training assignment -- although the flight instructors were civilian contractors, the cadets still experienced the discipline and drudgery of military life.

However, in the strictest sense, these schools were not owned or leased by the USAAF, and for the most part, they were not designated or activated as Army Air Fields. In official Army Air Forces directories, they were listed by the name of the civilian flying school, the name of the airport on which it operated, or sometimes just by the city name. Most of these properties (land, buildings, hangars, and unmovable equipment) were purchased from the civilian contractors by the Defense Plant Corporation (DPC). This effectively made them government property, although they continued to be operated by the civilian contractors.

The CFS's were assigned to the various Flying Training Commands, and each had a designated USAAF Flying Training Detachment assigned for supervision and liaison with the command. According to the contract, the government supplied students with training aircraft, flying clothes, textbooks, and equipment. Schools furnished instructors, training sites and facilities, aircraft maintenance, quarters, and mess halls. From the Air Corps, schools received a flat fee of $1,170 for each graduate and $18 per flying hour for students eliminated from training. Trainers used were primarily Fairchild PT-19s, PT-17 Stearmans and Ryan PT-22s, although a wide variety of other types could be found at the airfields.

A subset of the CFS's were Glider Training Schools. Their mission was to train unpowered glider pilots; not powered aircraft pilots. Using C-47 Skytrains as tow tugs, they specialized on training pilots for the CG-4A Waco and British Airspeed Horsas the pilots would eventually fly into combat during several operations primarily in the European Theater.

At one time or another during World War II, 64 contract schools conducted primary training, with a maximum of 56 schools operating at any one time. During the course of the war, the schools graduated approximately 250,000 student pilots.

All of the CFS's were inactivated by the end of the war, and were either turned over to the War Assets Administration (WAA) for disposal, or sold back to their previous private owners. Most today are small general aviation airports; some are major municipal airports, and some were abandoned with little or no evidence of their existence.

References

  • Manning, Thomas A. (2005), History of Air Education and Training Command, 1942–2002. Office of History and Research, Headquarters, AETC, Randolph AFB, Texas ASIN: B000NYX3PC
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.