World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Jaguar (IX-120)

Article Id: WHEBN0005976793
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Jaguar (IX-120)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: USS Gazelle (IX-116), List of Liberty ships (A–F), USS Leopard (IX-122), USS Camel (IX-113), Jaguar (disambiguation)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Jaguar (IX-120)

"
History General characteristics
United States
Laid down:
Launched:
Commissioned:
Decommissioned:
Fate:
Displacement:
Length:
Beam:
Draught:
Propulsion:
Speed:
Complement:
Armament:

USS Jaguar (IX-120), an Armadillo-class tanker designated an unclassified miscellaneous vessel, was the only ship of the United States Navy to be named for the jaguar, a large leopard-like mammal of wooded regions, typically yellowish brown marked with dark spots. Her keel was laid down as Charles T. Yerkes under Maritime Commission contract (Z-ET1-S-C3) by the California Shipbuilding Corporation, in San Pedro, California. She was launched on 20 November 1943, renamed Jaguar 27 October, acquired by the Navy 15 December 1943 and commissioned that day with Lieutenant Commander T. E. Hammond in command.

After shakedown out of San Pedro, California, Jaguar departed 19 January 1944 for duty as a floating storage ship in the Pacific islands. She arrived New Caledonia on 21 February via Wellington, New Zealand, and from there she transported vital diesel oil, aviation gasoline, and minesweeping gear to the New Hebrides and Solomon Islands. Jaguar returned to the West Coast early in 1946 and arrived Norfolk, Virginia, via the Panama Canal on 20 April. She decommissioned there 10 June 1946, and was turned over to the Maritime Commission. After serving as a tanker with various American lines under the name of Harry Peer in 1948 and Tini in 1949, the ship was transferred to Panamanian flag in February 1951.

References

This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.

External links

  • Photo gallery at Navsource.org

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.