Uruguay Island

Uruguay Island is an island 1 km (0.62 mi) long with a cove indenting its west side, lying between Irizar Island and Corner Island in the Argentine Islands of the Wilhelm Archipelago of Antarctica. It was discovered by the French Antarctic Expedition of 1903–05, under J.B. Charcot who named it after the Argentine corvette ARA Uruguay. The island was recharted in 1935 by the British Graham Land Expedition (BGLE) under John Rymill.

Important Bird Area

The island has been designated an Important Bird Area (IBA) by BirdLife International because it supports a breeding colony of about 200 pairs of Imperial Shags.[1]

See also

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from the United States Geological Survey document "Uruguay Island" (content from the Geographic Names Information System).

Coordinates: 65°14′S 64°14′W / 65.233°S 64.233°W / -65.233; -64.233

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.