World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Whitehall Borough, Pennsylvania

Whitehall Borough
Former Borough
Country United States
State Pennsylvania
County Philadelphia
Coordinates
Timezone EST (UTC-5)
 - summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4)
ZIP code 19127
Area code 215
Map of Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania highlighting Whitehall Borough prior to the Act of Consolidation, 1854
Location of Bridesburg in Pennsylvania
Location of Pennsylvania in the United States

Whitehall Borough is a defunct borough that was located in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania. The borough ceased to exist when it was incorporated into the City of Philadelphia on the passage of the Act of Consolidation, 1854.

History

The area takes its name from White Hall, a grand mansion built there by Jesse Waln.[1]

When it was incorporated into a borough on April 9, 1849, it covered what today is called East Frankford, between the Little Tacony (or Tackawanna) and Frankford Creeks, including Frankford and Bridesburg Stations on the former Pennsylvania Railroad, Whitehall Commons, and the Frankford Arsenal.[2] It lay northwest of Bridesburg Borough, and southeast of Frankford Borough. It was situated in the old township of Tacony and the later Northern Liberties Township.

In 1853, the part of Whitehall that lay between Torresdale Avenue and Frankford Creek and below what is now Whitehall Commons was ceded to the borough of Frankford, leaving it with an area of only 0.471 square-mile.[2]

References

  1. ^ The Bristol Pike, by Samuel Fitch Hotchkin, published by George W. Jacobs, 1893
  2. ^ a b , City History Society of Philadelphia, 1942.Old Towns and Districts of PhiladelphiaWilliam Bucke Campbell,

Resources

  • Chronology of the Political Subdivisions of the County of Philadelphia, 1683-1854
  • , 1854 By Rudolph J. WaltherIncorporated Districts, Boroughs, and Townships in the County of Philadelphia, excerpted at ushistory.org
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Hawaii eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.